The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Elise with a VF supercharger and CharlieX reflash.

In an earlier thread I created, I was concerned with the car passing its emissions test. At the testing station, the techs were unable their computer to interface properly with my car. At least that's what I assumed. They didn't say it, but there was a lot of head scratching, and they finally just passed me. I do have an intermittent MIL, probably related to the decat, but I'm not certain.

Today, my Kiwi scan tool arrived and I excitedly plugged it in. No luck. My iphone connects to the kiwi, but the Rev software just shows the spinning connection icon. I plug it into my Nissan and everything works fine.

Any idea if this could be related to the ECU reflash? My local dealer said that he reads CharlieX reflashes all the time (I haven't had my car in for him to check yet). Or is it more likely to be something like a damaged plug, or loose wire?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wow, passed with no cat. This is no longer the stone ages, man - modern metal substrate cats are inexpensive, reliable, and rob essentially no power. All my street cars have cats now, including a turbo Elise

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
since hopefulyl now my posts wont disappear anymore ;) i'll run through and post answers to some of these unanswered questions....

the OBD II in the elise, is very strict it runs on the letter of the 'law' for the specification for the timing, so it means a lot of scanners just don't work. The lotus scanner should always work, if it doesn't its probably something wrong with the plug or wiring, but its hard to diagnose without some equipment.

People often ask me if one person bought a scann,er then someone else buys the same one later, it doesn't work, well its because the scanners are often different inside, different software, cheaper revision boards, different batch so it just doesn't work. The 2008+ cars ought to have less issues since they're CAN line which is way tighter on the specs, and just an easier protocol.

none of my flashes alter the obd ii stuff, so it shouldn't make a jot of difference.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer offered to check it out for free so ran it by them yesterday. Apparently, tech was familiar with my car and has never been able to get the Lotus scanner to read it. They weren't able to offer any other help besides "call Charlie".

Charlie, thanks for confirming that. I'll start looking into the wiring. This car was torn down to the frame during it's rebuild, so it wouldn't surprise me if something got missed.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have a charliex tune on my Exige... no problem with the OBD-II scanners I have reading data. There's another issue with the Lotus ECU sending signals over both the K-line and CANBUS OBD-II protocols (which can confuse scanners or cause interference with the instrument cluster), but that has nothing to do with Charlie's tune, it's a Lotus thing.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after almost a year, I finally decided to see what was up with this. Having already been over every inch of the harness and finding it spotless, I sent the ecu back to Charlie. He had it diagnosed and repaired overnight.

Apparently the problem was a toasted K line (?) chip. It would have been caused by either a short, or plugging the wrong tool into the diag port. Since my harness checks out, I'm assuming the latter. It's been working great ever since.

Despite being unrelated to the reflash, Charlie fixed it free of charge. Awesome. The most impressive part is that I'm not even the original owner. It's great to see that these products continue to receive support on the 2nd hand market. The downside is that now I feel like a freeloader.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there! New member here needing some helpful advice along these same lines. 2005 Elise. I’ve searched this forum and read all I can find on the subject but still have some questions. My obd port is not communicating with a Texas inspection machine or different scan tools. I’ve done the basics; check fuses, power and continuity of the obd ground and everything is good. Just had the car for 2 weeks so know little about it so far. I do know it has a lotus sport ecu. Some people tell me that may be the issue others say it should not affect the obd communication. Also I read about possibly issues with a K-line transceiver but I have no idea what that is or how to check it. If someone could help I’d be very appreciative. I can’t register my car for road use until I figure this issue out keeping the obd from talking to the state machines. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Easy way out is to swap out the ECU with a known good one and flash the VIN onto it. There was a 2005 ECU for sale here recently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, if you find it, let me know. I can’t seem to find any for sale here. Ones for sale on eBay and Facebook are either A’s or overpriced.

·
Registered
656 Posts
have you tried forcing a scan tool to use the iso 9141-2 protocol? this can be done with a bluetooth obd dongle, and a bluetooth serial terminal program. or, @aburastar888 's digital dashboard program, i think. or even my DaftOBD Java program (+VAG com cable).

also, i think there's no reason to reject an A ecu, in case you need an extra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All that for nothing! Turns out the obd connection on an Elise is like the toilet in the east wing of the White House. All you have to do is giggle the handle🤣 literally all it took to get it to connect, wiggled the port while connecting it. Finicky little cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to confirm @Obeisance comment that 2005 Elise seems to have to force the ISO 9141-2 protocol. One local gentleman purchased my ADD_111R app and reported the app doesn't work initially on his beautiful 2005 Elise, and we fixed it with the updated SW!

Take a look at my app ADD-111R and it's available at the google play ADD-111R

BTW, thank you @Obeisance, with your help, I updated the gear info (directly from ECU) and added the TPMS in my latest version of ADD-111R :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts