The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pass this along in case anyone might be interested. I bought the Go Point BT1 device. Once I contorted myself into the footwell and plugged it in, it connected first time(via bluetooth) with my iphone 5. I started the engine, launched the app and tons of data came flowing through. No setup, nothing. Very impressed. Of course I have no idea what most of this info means. :), but it is very cool and could be incredibly useful in figuring out a problem. There are a bunch of other apps out there including one called dashcommand that is quite amazing.

Is there any downside to using one of these things. It has the feature of being able to turn off a CEL, but can it do anything adverse to the ECU? Is there a downside to leaving it plugged in? Might it draw any power? Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Generally speaking no, there's no problem with using it. The port is controlled by switched power, so there should be no current when the ignition key is removed.

It is a diagnostic port, so that is its intended use. Strictly speaking, a scantool allows you to reset error codes (and associated warnings lights),not disable them. If you have a diagnostic fault, the light will come right back as soon as the test reruns.

donour

·
Registered
54 Posts
OBDII Connection

Hi, Martin,
I'm not sure what car you have.
I have an 07 Exige. I use the WIFI-connected App called "Rev".
I quite often drive with this App 'up-and-running'. Gives extra info in the form of additional gauges (even gives accurate speedo readings)!
I have noticed that the gas tank level does not like to have the tank refilled with the App on. The gas gauge (in the dash) goes wonky, usually indicating empty.
Shut down the App, shut off the car, re-start the car (gauge registers correct), re-start the App and all is well!
Doug

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are you filling up with the engine running? or the Key on?
That OBD port is inactive with the key off. Ive left mine(Gopoint BT1) connected when filling up. But with the key off.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I use the same OBDII bluetooth on my Evora with the pioneer app radio. Overall it works great. :up:

I did notice the OBDII adapter draws power after the car is turned off. The GoPoint has a bluelight which stays on after I pull the key.-eek-

Not sure there is a lot of power drain, but I think the Evora has multiple parasitic power drains and would hate to add to that.:no:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I noticed that too, But the Light stays on for 5 sec after power is off. Im not sure if it draws any power after that delay though..

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use the same OBDII bluetooth on my Evora with the pioneer app radio. Overall it works great. :up:

I did notice the OBDII adapter draws power after the car is turned off. The GoPoint has a bluelight which stays on after I pull the key.-eek-

Not sure there is a lot of power drain, but I think the Evora has multiple parasitic power drains and would hate to add to that.:no:
Which one did you buy? My Appradio 2 gets here on Monday :)

Buy Now | GoPoint

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Which one did you buy? My Appradio 2 gets here on Monday :)

Buy Now | GoPoint
I went with the AVH-P8400BH

Wanted all the functions of the App Radio II with a dedicated radio/HD radio and DVD player. It also had more input options.
A few hickups wit IOS 6. Still waiting for addapter for the iPhone 5:mad:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went with the AVH-P8400BH

Wanted all the functions of the App Radio II with a dedicated radio/HD radio and DVD player. It also had more input options.
A few hickups wit IOS 6. Still waiting for addapter for the iPhone 5:mad:
I did the same thing (AVH-P8400), but have held off on the iphone 5 untill an adapter comes

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does any of this work with the factory Pioneer unit (avic-X930BT) for my MY12 Evora S built in Nov 2011. My go point bluetooth works perfectly with my iphone 5 via bluetooth and the go point app. since the new iphone plug is different I can't plug it in, but I did try my old iphone 4S and it says it will work with Pandora (if you have a cell connection), but when I tried to open the app radio app it just either crashed or says it was not connected.

Tempted to try dash commander on my iphone 5. I am not sure how much better the pioneer screen is vs the new iphone when you can mount the iphone with a suction mount and have it more in line of site without having to look down at the pioneer screen. I am red/green color blind and I find it hard to see most of the time and there does not appear to be a brightness control.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An additional note: I got an email from CS at go point and they said their unit is designed to be left in the OBD2 connector. having said that, I would still tend to want to unplug it if the car was going to sit for a few weeks given the already fragile power drain on Lotus cars that has been so well documented. I already manually lock the doors most of the time if I am not going to be driving it for a few days to avoid the alarm drain.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Damn, I love the LT community. I was having a hard time finding a BT OBD device for iOS. Decided to search here and voila!

·
Registered
606 Posts
This was $119? What makes it better/different from those costing around $25?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Xseries-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Wirless/dp/B00HVV60HI/ref=pd_cp_e_3[/ame]

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
HaHa, don't know, what makes the $25 model, twice as good as the ones for under $12.

I use a cheapo- chinese no-brand version, and it works great. BT only. I use a kill switch on the car when its not in use (due to smaller battery). Yes, the adapter is powered when the key is out, I believe you can pull one of the PINs out of the adapter to stop this (thought I read that on here somewhere, search is your friend).

-JM

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is there a downside to leaving it plugged in? Might it draw any power? Thanks.
I have a go point BT1A love it, my only complaint is the flashing blue light in the footwell, fixed with a piece of electrical tape. It does not drain battery unless the ignition is on, I've had it in for months with no problem!

Highly recommend you plug in all the gear ratios for the shifting bit that shows your shift point, replace the "economical" shift point with 6800rpm rotfl

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Would any of these work with an 05 Elise?

·
Registered
945 Posts
It's Bluetooth and it works with an iPhone.

That means they paid Apple the $35k + royalties to be part of the "Made for iPhone" program.

This lets them sell the device as an "official" iPhone accessory with an official Bluetooth-enabled App Store app, instead of going the no-license-required WiFi route or jailbreak.

Soon we should see Bluetooth Low Energy / Bluetooth 4.0 OBD-II readers which won't require Apple licensing *or* WiFi - best of both worlds.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the info - I just ordered this Wifi version:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-OBD-II-Diagnostics-iPhone-Andorid/dp/B00MTH73O8[/ame]

Will have it Friday and report back. I'll use it with Dash Command.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts