The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum and found quite a few OBD-II scanners and code readers. I'm confused... not sure what to buy. I'm looking for recommendations.

My Elise is an '05 (VIN... 4706) that was built in July 2005, if that makes any difference.

I'm interested in either hand-held scanners or interface cable with PC software for a laptop (I've got a laptop - running MacOS and Windows XP -- linux may be an option, too).

I found this on Amazon today for $100:

Actron CP9145 AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles

I got a MIL earlier today. I had one about 4-5 months ago (P0446). My warranty expires in about 5 months so I'll probably need a scanner then. I could use one now...

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
not really, the 2005 elise only supports a handful of PIDS anyway, and it reads fairly slowly. I don't think the genisys has oem lotus pids, only the omitec.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I have a bluetooth Carpal by Vital Engineering. I leave it in the car all the time and can log with my bluetooth PDA as well as review and clear fault codes without having to bring out the laptop - very useful :)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. I may just go with the AutoEnginuity.

The company is based out of a home that's located about 2.5 miles from my house... nice neighborhood with 1 acre lots and some big homes. I rode my bike through that neighborhood just a couple of weeks ago. From Google Earth, I can see a ~1500 sq. ft. building in back of the house that's probably the "factory/warehouse". I found a distributor that's also based out of a home about 3 miles from mine. Unfortunately, I'll end yp paying 8% sales tax :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you dont mind spending the cash, get a Dashdaq from dashdaq.com. It will read your obd data with graphs and datalog and gps and read codes and reset codes and play mp3 or video and like a 100 other things, but for $700. Serious bling.

·
Registered
438 Posts
700 bucks is a hell of alot more than I was looking to spend. But thanks. Ill try it some more, i tried like 8 times already.

·
Registered
725 Posts
2nd on a basic model like this. I actually have the older-case version of this tool. Nothing fancy, but it works fine. Everything else really is just for convenience or bling. Some stores still have the older generation models available for <$60.

I have used it countless times on all my OBD2 vehicles without any issue, also loaned it out about five times to friends. So, it's paid for itself rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
useful. I am glad that I met a friend that has one so I don't have to buy more junk

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm looking at getting a Bluetooth OBD2 reader for use with an app like Torque. Not sure how much data is available from the Lotus computer though. Just displaying RPM and speed wouldn't make the $150 investment worth it. Ideally, it would:
- display and reset error codes
- show supercharger pressure
- display ambient temp
- display oil temp and pressure

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
Torque can do all of those functions. TO me I don't know why someone would go any other route!

I paid ~$30 total: $5 for the full app (it is worth purchasing), and ~$25 for the bluetooth OBDII reader. Unless you have an iPhone you can do it cheap like me.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts