The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Used some credit for a OBD2 program on google apps and used a bluetooth usb on my elise and on my dash nothing worked...took it out and everything worked fine. Is there a issue with using obd2 bluetooth with this vehicle? For example the rpms and has light were on but car was revving fine and half tank if gas. Torque is the app i was using and a micro mechanic usb dongle

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
All very familiar. I assume you have a 2005 model (white dash). The OBD2 application tried to ask questions in the CANBUS protocol because that's the newest and fastest protocol that (generally) offers the most features and data if supported. There are at least three different ways OBD2 can work: CANbus, K-Line, and the older Ford proprietary protocol whose name I forget.

Now for the issue: The T4 ECU speaks both CANbus and K-line and both are available on the OBD connector under the dash. Sounds good so far, right? The bad news is that the only data you can get over CANbus by default in the Lotus is speed, engine RPM, fuel level, coolant temp, etc - the stuff that is displayed on the instrument cluster. To get detailed diagnostic information, you have to ask questions in K-line language. Further, the typical OBD dongle and application usually break the conversation between the instrument cluster and the ECU when they try to butt into the middle.

So you need to tell the OBD2 application to not use CANBUS and try using K-line first. That will likely work.

If the application is too dumb to be configured that way, pretty much the only solution is to get an OBD extension cable and cut the two CANbus wires in it so that the only way the OBD dongle can find to talk to the car is in the (older, slower) K-line protocol. Slower is still plenty fast enough for most human-readable purposes.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that information, ill have to check my program in the morning to see if that can be changed. It is infact a 2005.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts