The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my 2008 Elise out of storage and reconnected the battery. Got an engine light. My Code reader tells me a P0601 Check Sum Error which I cleared with the reader and a P0630 Code - PCM VIN Not Program, Or Mismatch. Funnily enough the code reader does read the VIN when I switch to that function. The code will not erase as I tried. Obviously the no PCM VIN is still beng thrown. My question is will the PCM relearn the VIN or is this a trip to the dealer to re-enter the correct VIN onto the PCM?
Does anyone have any experience with an VIN editor like Digital Horsepower and will this work on the Lotus ECU?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump - Anyone?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
as you saw
P0601, ecu was reset
P0630, vin number is no longer valid, since it reset and it wiped out all the info.

Are you sure it reads the cars real VIN, and not ending in something like 0000

The dealer can reprogram it back in, i don't think its a standard function so lotus tool only, it might change the temp readouts on the cluster too.

If the cluster is unaffected, all it'll do is throw the code and put the light on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry for this!!!

Question for CharlieX. (Couldn't send PM)

I would like an ECU upgrade. How do I get started?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll double check the VIN readout again I belive it was the correct number but I'm not betting a paycheck. Interesting that the reset might affect temp display. If it defaults to centigrade thats perfect actually.

Any experience with a VIN editor?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Only my own and the lotus ones.

It might be a universal obd II function, but i'd have to go check.

The vin number tells the car what country its in. hence the c/f switch

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been searching for a solution to this problem for years and have finally been able to successfully reset this code myself

How to DIY reset P0630 DIY reset the check engine light using an iPhone + Bluetooth ODB reader!
Steps:
  1. Purchase (iOS version. There is also an Android Version) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078K54MT5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  2. Install (iOS) https://apps.apple.com/us/app/elm327-wifi-terminal-obd/id1041700672
  3. Run the following commands:

# AT Set [communication] Protocol automatic
AT SP 0

# AT Set [communication] Protocol ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbaud)
AT SP 4

OBD Mode 3B PID 1 works:
"3B 01 30 4C 33 31 38"

"30 4C 33 31 38" are the hex values of the VIN as follows:
######################
# get HEX value for VIN
# you'll need to use a font with fixed width for the text below.
######################
# VIN SCCPC11105HL31834
# VIN MASK SCCPC111-5H------
# ASCII 0 L31834
# ASCII 0 L 3 1 8 3 4
# HEX 30 4C 33 31 38 33 34
######################

All credit goes to this thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/how-to-partially-diy-set-the-vin-in-the-ecu-for-your-2005-lotus-elise.381737/

It should me a couple tries to get the correct commands but it 100% let me clear the check engine code. Highly recommend trying this out and investing in the bluetooth ODBII reader

·
Registered
910 Posts
Does this only apply to a 2005? My '06 previously had this code that required me to drive to the nearest dealer to re-flash the ECU...

I'm not sure, but pretty sure, one of the possible causes for this code is when the battery has been disconnected without waiting at least 30min after shutting down the engine...

·
Registered
749 Posts
The one linked by sdownie was found by reading the ECU code for a 2005 elise (T4 ECU, k-line OBD). cybernet has posted that the same OBD mode is used on later model year CAN OBD cars (t4e ECU), so I would not be surprised to learn that the k-line, t4e ECU cars (2006 and 2007) use a similar OBD packet to reset the VIN. That being said, I'm not aware of anyone who has tried it yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I'm trying to make this work on my 05 Elise and all I get is a "?" Response in the ELM application. I'm getting a connection, but I'm not sure how to exactly write the commands so the ECU will take them. Any help on exactly what I need to enter in the application to make it write a VIN and finally get rid of my check engine light?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts