The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Actron CP9410 OBDII scanner that I cannot get to establish communication with the ECU (LINK ERROR). The 2007 Exige S is OBDII compliant, isn't it? Anyone out there have this problem?

Jerry

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
is the key in the ignition?
if so, which position?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried it in both the on position and with the engine running. Same story. The scanner is new and has not been used before.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
i have the actron 9175 and an 07 Exige S.

insert key and turn forward two clicks (engine not running). it takes about 5 or 8 seconds to establish connection.

if you try to connect with the engine running, you will see the gauge needles lose signal, but won't be successful.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Just tried it on my Audi and it worked, so I have to be doing something wrong with the Lotus or their is something weird going on.

Jerry

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The timing on OBDII is open to interpretation by some of the scantool companies, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, I've found a couple of tools won't connect at all others take a few times to connect. So long as the cluster is switched on, it will connect if its working.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ignition to second click, cluster on, still not working (tried 10 times). Any suggestion to a brand/model that works?

Jerry

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Ignition to second click, cluster on, still not working (tried 10 times). Any suggestion to a brand/model that works?

Jerry

mine works fine. actron CP9175. i think it's the next model up from yours.

that's why i always suggest taking the lotus to the ecu-reader-reseter-gettin-place and trying it out in the parking lot before you leave.

good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Lotus lives in a town without a lot of tool options.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have a Actron CP9180 and I have no issues... Go to select vehicle and see what it's set on. Choices on mine are:

Global OBD II
Domestic Vehicles
European Vehicles
Asian Vehicles

I have a EU spec car and it works fine on the European Vehicles setting but wouldn't on the Domestic setting... That could be your problem...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The CP 9410 doesn't have a selector - that I can find. The 9140 seems to be a plug and play device.

Jerry

·
Registered
206 Posts
The first one I bought was a ScanGauge and it worked with all cars except my '05 Elise. So I bought an AutoEnginuity that connects by Bluetooth to my Treo and it works fine.

Jerry

·
Registered
974 Posts
jkolb (or anyone else with a cp9410),

did you ever get it to work? i didn't see this thread and bought one. i get the same link error.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just tried the reader on my 03 Nissan Murano. Had some difficulty. Got a couple of link errors. then it finally worked.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Albert,
Just tried it on mine, expecting the worst, but it worked first time :shrug:. Turned on the ignition, all the way, without starting car. Plugged in reader, it read "reading", and after about 10 seconds read "no codes". Try calling Actrons toll free help number 1-800-228-7667.
Michael
jkolb (or anyone else with a cp9410),

did you ever get it to work? i didn't see this thread and bought one. i get the same link error.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Michael might be on to something, although there are revisions of the cp9410's so one might work, and one won't, the ecu is doing more work when the engine is running so it responds slightly slower, certainly worth checking.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Charlie, I understand from Lotus that they introduced CAN protocol for the 2008MY. My question is, any OBDll should work in theory, CAN or not, right?
Michael
Michael might be on to something, although there are revisions of the cp9410's so one might work, and one won't, the ecu is doing more work when the engine is running so it responds slightly slower, certainly worth checking.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
In theory yeah, but the timing is the issue, the lotus ECU's stick fairly strictly to the ack timing and such, and the scantools don't, but of course each blames the other..

However my reference OBD II tools all work just fine, so i'm inclined to agree with lotus that its the fault of the scantool makers and not lotus, my guess is that the OBD II scan tools aren't waiting long enough for a response.

MY2008 + is CAN and that ought to work better since the timing is more defined, but you know what they say make it foolproof and they'll make a better fool.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I tried the CP9410 again early this morning. Tried with the engine on and off. Still get the "link error". I guess there is either something different between an 05 elise and an 07 exige or there is something different between the two scanners. I didn't find any update files on actron's site. Time to call them. I already got the go ahead from amazon to return the unit.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just called Actron's support line.

There is a way to do a hard reset on the unit. I'll give that a shot.

The tech also suggested that perhaps my car is OBD-E and not OBDII. I doubt that but does anyone know for certain?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts