The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have, or will have in a week, a 2006 Exige. I have a generic Bosch reader that will also read ABS codes. My other reader will read BMW/MINI codes and activate systems for maintenance.
Does Lotus have their own codes? If so what is the best OBD tool that will read lotus specific codes.

I am new to Lotus, haven't even driven one, so I know my learning curve will be steep.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think Lotus does have their own codes.
They're typically read through the dealer tools namely "Lotus Scan 3" or "Lotus Techcentre" software for a PC + a "passthrough device" that looks like a USB-to-OBD device.
I think the Scan 3 are for older cars, aka "white dash" cars, whereas Techcentre gets used on later cars.
They're typically used to code-in the VIN, update the ECU and the dash, and talk to the ABS unit.
It's my understanding that the ABS unit for Elise/Exige is a Kelsey-Hayes units that were used in some GM cars, so I wonder if a generic GM reader can talk to the ABS unit.

Other than that, some of the generic OBD stuff like the check engine lights for emissions and what not can get taken care of by any generic OBD readers.
Also, not much goes on in the "white dash" cars and the data rates are slow. It's very analog. "Black dash" cars have more data and is faster. S3 cars and Evora and beyond cars have MUCH more stuff, but I guess it's beyond the scope of the discussion.

I'm also trying to get more info on this. I think I've just barely scratched the surface to be honest...
More discussions are in the Electrical section of the forum. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/electrical.129/

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the ABS is GM my Bosch reader will be able to do the generic codes and ABS. BMW/MINI can have a lot of digital crap going on. I was hoping this car would be simpler.
thanks for the link and help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts