The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First of all, thanks to Tass on the forum here for selling me his 06 Aspen White Elise! Its been a blast as my daily driver, but I am feeling the need for a second (sensible) car, especially when ski season rolls around!

I never thought so many people would take pictures of the car. I always appreciated a nice car with a good glance and moved on, but pedestrians and other drivers pull out their cell phones and take pictures all the time. I even had a cop stop me BEFORE I got in the car to talk about it. When a cop says "I bet that thing really goes!", what do you say without incriminating yourself? :)

Watch out for people trying to lift the car at the wheel well after telling them how light the car is. Yes, it happened to me and I only just stopped him in time.

$26 for a Lotus oil filter?!? Its obviously not going to break me, but they could at least ask you to bend over before screwing you! The top end oil filter at the local parts store is $12 - that has to be adequate.

6th gear... what's the point? Its barely higher than 5th. I'm on the highway a lot and the drone at 4000 is pretty tiring after any length of time. I will be searching for a taller 6th gear solution - there has to be one out there! Ditto for 1st... maybe a taller final drive ratio makes more sense? 4.5 is definitely for the track, not for a DD.

No problems with hard top leaks or handling in the rain. Its been out in some crazy weather. Still don't have the top off.

Here are some photos. The one with it next to a friend's Suburban really puts it in perspective!

Tim

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i think that if you don't like the gearing, you haven't had it long enough or you bought the car for the wrong purpose.
the very things that the car is, would be spoiled by much change of the gearing.
if you just want the car for looks, park it somewhere and enjoy.
the responsiveness,the truthfulness is what the lotus is about.
give it a while to get used to it.
don't rush to change it yet.
good luck, sam

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
So you love the Lotus and it's not like any other car you've ever owned...right?

Welcome to the party, pal...:D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Crazy weather is no problem as long as there isnt any snow. Mine cant handle even a flurry. My driveway is steep and the car just says forgettaboutit. Thank god its summer, I got stranded a few times with unexpected snow this last winter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it Tim, I still have a couple of things for you. I'll be in touch to meet up, maybe you can give me a ride :D

Tass

·
Registered
317 Posts
A lot of people swear by the K&N filter that's about $10 to $12. Do a search for oil filters and you see a bunch of options.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think that if you don't like the gearing, you haven't had it long enough or you bought the car for the wrong purpose.
the very things that the car is, would be spoiled by much change of the gearing.
if you just want the car for looks, park it somewhere and enjoy.
the responsiveness,the truthfulness is what the lotus is about.
give it a while to get used to it.
don't rush to change it yet.
good luck, sam
If I wanted a Lotus for the looks, it would have been an Esprit! That was my fav since childhood.

You are right that I may not have had it long enough to get used to it. My last car was turning 3200rpm at 80mph, not 4000. I don't mind the low, close ratio lower gears so much. My real beef is the short 6th that is closer to 5th than any other 2 gears. That just seems odd. If I need power on the highway, I'll downshift... that's why we all prefer manual transmissions, right? And for extended highway driving, I find the high revs to be tiring.

Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crazy weather is no problem as long as there isnt any snow. Mine cant handle even a flurry. My driveway is steep and the car just says forgettaboutit. Thank god its summer, I got stranded a few times with unexpected snow this last winter.
Yes, no problems at all in the spring downpours. I had to actually *try* to see if the traction control works. It does ;-) And its the smoothest TC I've seen. I wouldn't know it was kicking in except for the light on the dash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also about 60 days in, and am still shocked at the swiveling necks, pointing, agape mouths and cell phone photos by the general public. I've tracked the car three times so far, and that activity has put the street driver shortcomings in proper perspective. For my 100 mile drive to the track, I'm using earplugs, and it makes a big diff. The sh!tty stereo even sounds better! Good luck, and many more happy days to you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts