The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an odd noise from my right front brake, and wondered if anyone else has had the same thing.

2011 Exige Final Edition.

When stepping on the brake, I get a *click* sound from the caliper as if the pads are shifting inside the housing. I hear it when I reverse out of the garage and touch the brakes at the end of the driveway, but not when I subsequently back out of the driveway onto the road and touch the brakes again. Then I hear it again when I drive forward and touch the brakes at the end of the street. After that I don't hear it again until I either change direction, or until I have been driving for a while with no brake usage.

For a while I couldn't pin down where it was coming from, but when I went in to the service dept. last week, the mechanic heard it when I pulled up. He pulled the wheels and checked everything for installation and fit, and says everything is as it should be, but still.... *click*

Anyone else had anything similar? And if so, what did it turn out to be?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am getting an odd noise from my right front brake, and wondered if anyone else has had the same thing.

2011 Exige Final Edition.

When stepping on the brake, I get a *click* sound from the caliper as if the pads are shifting inside the housing. I hear it when I reverse out of the garage and touch the brakes at the end of the driveway, but not when I subsequently back out of the driveway onto the road and touch the brakes again. Then I hear it again when I drive forward and touch the brakes at the end of the street. After that I don't hear it again until I either change direction, or until I have been driving for a while with no brake usage.

For a while I couldn't pin down where it was coming from, but when I went in to the service dept. last week, the mechanic heard it when I pulled up. He pulled the wheels and checked everything for installation and fit, and says everything is as it should be, but still.... *click*

Anyone else had anything similar? And if so, what did it turn out to be?
It's the pads ratteling around in the caliper...
It'll mostly likely go away on its own as the pads wear down a bit.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the pads ratteling around in the caliper...
It'll mostly likely go away on its own as the pads wear down a bit.
That is certainly what it sounds like. Thanks for the second opinion.

I have had every conceivable rattle, squeak, squeal and clunk from brakes on a variety of different cars, but this one is a new one for me.

I did try a rather... shall we say... "enthusiastic" bedding in procedure a while back with no change (if anyone here happens to own the flock of goats that I scared the (bleep) out of on Avalon Road last month, I do apologize...).

I'm not going to worry about it, since everything is packed tight and functioning properly, but still curious to see what it does as we go on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my front right brake produce something similar but mine happened when it is moving and once i stepped on the brakes, the clunking will be gone. Car is a Matte Black Final Edition..

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had the same noise and pulled the pads to find that the material had debonded off the backing. Not easy too see until I had the pad out. Carbone Lorraine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts