The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been just over a week, and I have just over 300 miles on the clock. While I am still in the middle of the break-in period, I have had the opportunity to take a few drives to get things nice and warm. I've noticed that not unlike a big cam car, my elise doen't like to idle much. It almost feels as if it's going to cut off sometimes, but it doesn't really hesitate. Applifying this is the shift light; that "partially flashes" when the idle RPM's are really low. I've has just one engine cut off as a result, but it's on my list to discuss with the dealer at my after sales maintenance.

Any of you guys experence this?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I've noticed an intermittent low idle, but the engine management kicks in and seems to fix the problem. It stalled once at a light when cold at about 200 or 300 mile mark, none since.

Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1FASTMX5 said:
Seems to be a common problem amoungst some of the 111R folks. If you do a search on here you will find a few cars having this issue that have posted. Don't know what the resolve was.
Yes, I am aware that some 111R owners are have this type of problem. But in those cases, the car would flat out stall.

·
Registered
58 Posts
zvezdah1,

You are a Miata owner and no doubt know about the "open loop" (TEN jumpered to GND) idle speed adjustment. If there is a similar process to zero the loop stress in the idle control system of the Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine, it sounds like that procedure could cure this problem.

Forgive me for writing about a car I have never even seen...! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
wstrohm,
THanks for the heads up, btw, I've never actually even driven a miata. I'll mention the idle issue when in for service.

I'm past the 800 mile mark now, been out of town all week so stayed locked in the garage the whole time.
Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ground Loop said:
Tech_KO... one week? 300 miles?!

Time's up, pass it on to the next waiting enthusiast. :)
Ha! And considering I took the long way home (about 70 miles), it really isn't too much. Unfortunately, I've been a little busy with work.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
wstrohm said:
zvezdah1,

You are a Miata owner and no doubt know about the "open loop" (TEN jumpered to GND) idle speed adjustment.
I'm a miata owner and Ive not heard of this other than when jumping the box for checking timing. There is a set screw on the throttle body one can also monkey with. If it were me I wouldnt want to monkey with switching it from open loop to closed or closed to open just to compensate for some other issue.

It sounds as if the enrichements at idle are off. One can only imagine that as the weather gets colder the car will stall even more. On cars with standalones I've seen similar problems where the computer tries to compensate for the irregularity. What you get is a car that nearly dies, then surges as the computer tries to give it fuel at the last second, repeat the process over and over and it feels like the car has a cam or something. Mazda had a problem with their mazdaspeed protege's that first came into the country, none of them would idle.

This doesnt sound like *too big of a deal, but not a problem I want to have in my $50,000 car in the first two days of ownership 500 miles away from my dealer.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Mine has experienced the low idle, but never stalled. I also have had the sporadic shift light while driving at low RPMs. I took it as a sign to shift LOL.

No "problems" yet for me, I guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same exact thing happened to both of my Esprits ('90&'00).

This is very normal in the "Esprit World"... I think this is a Lotus thing....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the dealer confirmed that my car is idling too low, which resulted in the problem I described above. I'll let you guys know what the fix is.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Did they disconnect your battery when they fixed the loose wire the other day? On my Cougar, if power is cut, the computer has to relearn the idle setting by going thru so many cycles of being driven at highway speeds and so many in stop and go conditions before it will adjust to a normal idle setting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
xxxotic said:
the computer has to relearn the idle setting
How perfectly timed. That was the resolution to the low idle issue. The idle on the elise not preprogramed, so the computer has to learn it. . . just as you described.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts