The Odds of Dying in ...

· Motor vehicle: 1-in-84
· Motorcyle: 1-in-938
· Bicycle: 1-in-4,472
· Air travel: 1-in-5,552
· Bus: 1-in-94,242
· Train: 1-in-139,617
. Lotus: 1-in-23,874,132

This is over your lifetime. Obviously if you do anyone of these more then the average bear your odds go up. And, yes I made the last one up

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I think the motorcycle number probably has more to do with the nature of the drivers, meaning they drive more cautiously, whereas the typical car driver thinks they're invincible :p

Probably has more to to with the fact that people spend a lot more time driving cars than motorcycles. The number of deaths per hour spent riding a motorcycle would surely be higher than in a car.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I think the motorcycle number probably has more to do with the nature of the drivers, meaning they drive more cautiously, whereas the typical car driver thinks they're invincible :p
Also, these are lifetime numbers, not per hour or per mile, etc. I'd imagine most motorcycle owners don't spend more time on their bike than in their car... especially over the course of their life.

It would be interesting to see the per hour or per mile numbers though...

EDIT: Beat me to it Moto44... and with authority too!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm thinking it is because such a small percentage of the general public actually ride a motorcycle. I am betting that one's odds of dying while base jumping or skydiving is incredibly small merely because so few people actually do it even thought the act itself is quite dangerous.

Noble

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, these are average odds for everyone. So most people never are on a motorcycle and will never get killed riding one, that's why these odds get weighted (skewed) this way. There were 43,000 automobile deaths in 2005 vs. 4,500 Motorcycle deaths. Do you really think 1 out of every ten people male and female between 16 and 100 own motorcycles? Considering women riders are rare, that means 1 in 5 males would have to own a bike and ride it the same amount of time as the rest of us are in cars.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
No, these are average odds for everyone. So most people never are on a motorcycle and will never get killed riding one, that's why these odds get weighted (skewed) this way. There were 43,000 automobile deaths in 2005 vs. 4,500 Motorcycle deaths. Do you really think 1 out of every ten people male and female between 16 and 100 own motorcycles? Considering women riders are rare, that means 1 in 5 males would have to own a bike and ride it the same amount of time as the rest of us are in cars.
Well, that's not really fair, is it? :p I mean, if I never get on a motorcycle in my life, my chance of dying on a motorcycle is exactly zero. I figured the denominator was at least adjusted for people actually engaging in the said activity...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that's not really fair, is it? :p I mean, if I never get on a motorcycle in my life, my chance of dying on a motorcycle is exactly zero. I figured the denominator was at least adjusted for people actually engaging in the said activity...
No, it's not absolute zero. It's possible a gang of one eyed pygmies could abduct you, tie you to a motorcycle and push it off the side of the grand canyon. there's always that .00000000000000000000000000000001%

This came from an article about odds of other stuff. My favorite is, there's a better chance of being killed by a toilet then dating a supermodel.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Some super models are complete nut-jobs though, if you piss off the wrong one she could rip the toilet from the floor and then throw it at you. That would be a death by supermodel/toilet combo.

Noble

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Also, these are lifetime numbers, not per hour or per mile, etc. I'd imagine most motorcycle owners don't spend more time on their bike than in their car... especially over the course of their life.
Oh, you are so wrong. As my wife will tell you, I spend more time on my motorcycle than on her. As a matter of fact, I'm on my motorcycle right now. rotfl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts