The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Okay, I hope I don't sound too much like a girl here. What is a metal jacket? I'm looking on the Odyssey website and I am guessing that I need to buy PC925MJT, their aluminum battery mount, and the additional parts in the picture from the hardware store. And I have someone who can weld the angle piece for me because I *think* that is the only thing I can't do. Sound about right?

The Metal Jacket is a thin metal piece that surrounds the battery. You can buy the Odyssey with or without the jacket. That is what the MJ is in the part number. I like the metal jacket ones as they are more protected from the bracket rubbing.

You can rivit it all together from what I see from the above posts. No need to weld it. I did not use this bracket. I made one up out of Stainless Steel strapping.

Edit...
From looking at the pictures...why do you need to weld? doesnnt this just mount to deck?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Edit...
From looking at the pictures...why do you need to weld? doesnnt this just mount to deck?
There are other assembly options besides welding, but it can't be all one piece. One point does mount to the deck. The mount point at the wheel well has to go through the inside of the bracket. Therefore the battery has to be out when you bolt that up.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I am under the impression that only the big piece is Odyssey's bracket. The 2 little pieces were made/purchased seperately. I'm pretty sure that the piece with the angle welded to it is not necessary, but just additional support.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am under the impression that only the big piece is Odyssey's bracket. The 2 little pieces were made/purchased seperately. I'm pretty sure that the piece with the angle welded to it is not necessary, but just additional support.
You are exactly right. Odyssey's bracket is the u-shaped piece. I had some aluminum angle laying around and used that to make the lower crossmember. I lined all sides with that ribbed rubbet mat. It makes a good rubbing/vibration barrier and when you bolt it all up it is very snug. I was going to make another piece for the top, but the fit is so solid it was not necessary.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, I hope I don't sound too much like a girl here. What is a metal jacket? I'm looking on the Odyssey website and I am guessing that I need to buy PC925MJT, their aluminum battery mount, and the additional parts in the picture from the hardware store. And I have someone who can weld the angle piece for me because I *think* that is the only thing I can't do. Sound about right?
Sorry for the tardy response, but I'm on vacation with limited access to the internet. You can buy the battery with or without the metal jacket as Tony stated. Like him, I prefer the extra protection it offers. If you cannot find one with a metal jacket, it can be installed later with silicone rtv. As for the way my brackets are fabricated, you will need to have the short angle welded to the bar flat as shown in my photos to duplicate my arrangement. Others are right that it is not completely necessary, but I wanted a "belt and suspenders" installation that would keep the battery from going anywhere. If you choose to leave out that top member with the welded angle, I'm sure you can make up for it with velcro or other means.

Tom

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here is my modified take on this.

i just drilled out holes in the bracket for the rivets and used a countersunk on the back side to give them some fudge room.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas in this thread, I installed one of these today:

Bill's Web Space:2011 Lotus Elise PC925 Mount

Much improved over my short term mounting solution for this battery in the old 2005.
Bill:

Glad it worked out and that you were able to copy/improve on the design! If you haven't already, you may want to get a floating charger. My first PC925 died after 1 1/2 years without it due to parasitic losses.

Tom

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I ordered this mount:

Universal Battery Mount Kit Odyssey 925-Rennline, Inc.

It appears that the bottom mounting hole will fit an Elise, and even if a hole can't be drilled in the rear strap in the right position, it should be easy to use a strip of metal to strap the strap.

Expensive bracket, but professional looking and I can't think of anything that will require less fabrication. I don't have time for this type of science project at the moment :)

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This new bracket looks like a great solution to the problem without as much fabrication required. If it had been available when I installed my Odyssey, this might have been a much shorter thread!

·
Registered
77 Posts
'Afternoon Folks!
Yeah, the Rennline (Porsche) Universal Battery Mount worked perfectly on my 60th Anniversary Edition Elise SC. The dealer installed it during the cars' initial break-in service -- very professional results. And the only thing he changed was a longer mount bolt -- just to be sure. I've got a picture, but I can't upload the file. (TIFF version is unacceptable and the .PDF version is too large). Oh well, sorry...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another variation of the Odyssey bracket

A couple of years ago, I bought an Odyssey PC925 battery in anticipation of replacing the original battery in my 05 Elise when it dies. Well last month it finally happened.

With the PC925 being a smaller battery, I had to decide on a mounting system to work with the stock mounting points. Not having the equipment to bend 3mm (1/8") thick aluminum plate, I decided to let my fabricator design a base plate. I also wanted to use the Odyssey hold down bracket for the PC925. The pictures show what he came up with, another variation on securing the Odyssey battery.

The bottom base plate bolts to the two stock battery hold down bobbins. The Odyssey hold down bracket then is bolted to the base plate. The base plate should be adaptable to any other battery that I may want to use in the future.

I should note that the Odyssey hold down bracket does not have the extended nose on the base plate that the Rennline bracket has, the reason for the large base plate.

Attachments

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Why would anyone want a 27 pound battery in an Elige? There are much lighter and less expensive solutions available. I'm personally not a fan of Odyssey batteries.

San

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Odyssey PC-680 at 15.4 pounds plus bracket specifically for this battery from Really Light Stuff and others works quite well.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Odyssey PC-680 at 15.4 pounds plus bracket specifically for this battery from Really Light Stuff and others works quite well.
It's junk as well. I hated mine. Was already in my car when I bought it.

Look for a Deka/Big Crank, which are the same as the Braille (minus the cost). All made by EastPenn. That's if you're on a budget.

Personally, I went with a Shorai that weighs 5 pounds and has 540 CCA.

San

21 - 36 of 36 Posts