The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Odyssey PC925 Installation

23K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  waspfarmer 
#1 ·
I just changed the original battery in my Elise, which was sold new in September 2004. I've been on borrowed time, as the original has not leaked, died, or slid out of the mounting brackets.

I decided to replace it with an Odyssey PC925, as it is about the same weight as the OEM and other Elise owners seem to have had good luck with them. I wanted a mounting system that would keep it from moving around, so I bought an Odyssey aluminum mount and modified it to fit my car. I bought some aluminum bar and angle from Home Depot, then modified them to fit the Odyssey bracket. Shown below are photos from start to finish, which I'll have to show in a few posts.

Here's the bracket I purchased from Odyssey, shown with the PC925:
Product Technology Electronic device

These pics show the removal of the original battery and brackets:
Electronics Technology Vehicle Auto part Electronic device

Vehicle Wire Cable Auto part Windshield

Wire Electrical wiring Cable

This shows the size of the PC925 and brackets vs. the original:
Technology Electronic component Electronic device Electronics accessory

See less See more
#30 ·
Reviving an old thread. I ordered this mount:

Universal Battery Mount Kit Odyssey 925-Rennline, Inc.

It appears that the bottom mounting hole will fit an Elise, and even if a hole can't be drilled in the rear strap in the right position, it should be easy to use a strip of metal to strap the strap.

Expensive bracket, but professional looking and I can't think of anything that will require less fabrication. I don't have time for this type of science project at the moment :)

Adam

Attachments

#31 ·
This new bracket looks like a great solution to the problem without as much fabrication required. If it had been available when I installed my Odyssey, this might have been a much shorter thread!

#32 ·
'Afternoon Folks!
Yeah, the Rennline (Porsche) Universal Battery Mount worked perfectly on my 60th Anniversary Edition Elise SC. The dealer installed it during the cars' initial break-in service -- very professional results. And the only thing he changed was a longer mount bolt -- just to be sure. I've got a picture, but I can't upload the file. (TIFF version is unacceptable and the .PDF version is too large). Oh well, sorry...

#33 ·
Another variation of the Odyssey bracket

A couple of years ago, I bought an Odyssey PC925 battery in anticipation of replacing the original battery in my 05 Elise when it dies. Well last month it finally happened.

With the PC925 being a smaller battery, I had to decide on a mounting system to work with the stock mounting points. Not having the equipment to bend 3mm (1/8") thick aluminum plate, I decided to let my fabricator design a base plate. I also wanted to use the Odyssey hold down bracket for the PC925. The pictures show what he came up with, another variation on securing the Odyssey battery.

The bottom base plate bolts to the two stock battery hold down bobbins. The Odyssey hold down bracket then is bolted to the base plate. The base plate should be adaptable to any other battery that I may want to use in the future.

I should note that the Odyssey hold down bracket does not have the extended nose on the base plate that the Rennline bracket has, the reason for the large base plate.

Attachments

#36 ·
It's junk as well. I hated mine. Was already in my car when I bought it.

Look for a Deka/Big Crank, which are the same as the Braille (minus the cost). All made by EastPenn. That's if you're on a budget.

Personally, I went with a Shorai that weighs 5 pounds and has 540 CCA.

San

#37 ·
I bought an Odyssey 925 with metal jacket, and pried the jacket off from the bottom with a paint can opener. Then I "JB epoxy" glued a couple of strips of 3/4 aluminium angle to the sides. It works with the stock hold-downs. The stock battery hold-downs on my S2 Elise measure 10.2cm wide on the left one, and 12cm on the right one. I bent the ends of the angle brackets up after heating to stop for/aft sliding, and glued them on about 1/2cm from the bottom of the metal jacket. The right one is centered about 3/4cm aft of the left one. The cat helped.
Red Publication Material property Book Wood
Wood Tin Material property Gas Box
Gadget Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle door

#39 ·
Update: I was checking out my old thread to see when I installed my 2nd PC925 and if I have the math right it was installed sometime in 2010. It’s still in the car and cranking fine, but I’m a little nervous about having a 12-year-old battery in my car! Has anyone else had this kind of longevity?

#40 ·
I'm no expert, but if you have maintained a charge well-- all of the battery's life, I see no reason to suspect it of malicious intent due simply to age. These are built with greater vibration fatigue resistance than regular batteries. If you're really worried, load-test it and/or get a lithium jumper battery pack. My jumper pack has saved me three times (just once in the Lotus), and about eight new friends in one year of ownership. Until I got it, I never realised how many people's lives are tragically interrupted by dead automobile batteries every day. Such a senseless waste of driving time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.