The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my battery is dead. There was substantial corrosion around the bottom/bracket area and I can't even tell what I'm supposed to be using to loosen the battery bracket. It doesn't look like a hex bolt, a phillips or flat head screw top or anything that a socket will fit.

Help.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The center of the bolt has no pattern to it. Torx would be my guess at this point, but it was stripped out long ago I'm afraid.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Looks like you have one of those infamous leaking battery's that caused that problem It is a Torx, try to dig out some corrosion with a pick so that you can get the bit in there. Failing that, using a Dremel or similar tool cut a screwdriver slot across the top. Just a suggestion, get an AGM battery that will not leak. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321/battery-choices-information-64071/
Michael

Attachments

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Had the exact same issue and had to drill it out. Why the f$(k Lotus used so many button head torx/Allen bolts is beyond me. I've had to drill so many of them out.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Just cut a slot across it with a dremel or cut off wheel and turn it out with a screwdriver. Replace with a reg bolt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Planning to hit it with a dremel this afternoon. Hopefully that'll help the problem. Is there anyway this could be an original battery from an '05??? Car has <17k, miles, but battery surely must be past its use by date, but I can't imagine someone would have put back in a stock battery that had known issues.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had the similar issue with mine. There is a spray you can buy at auto parts store to neutralize battery acid. I used on the whole rear trunk area near battery and the underside. There was corrosion on the mounts to muffler under the battery.

you spray it and let it set and than spray area with water. acid is bad for fiber glass

Ed

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Planning to hit it with a dremel this afternoon. Hopefully that'll help the problem. Is there anyway this could be an original battery from an '05??? Car has <17k, miles, but battery surely must be past its use by date, but I can't imagine someone would have put back in a stock battery that had known issues.
That is the original OEM battery.
Michael

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That or just go in the fridge and grab the box of baking soda. Dump some in a bowl and mix around 50/50 with water. Spread it all over the battery area, then rinse with plain water. Will work the same and is cheap.

05 on a stock battery makes sense. My Jetta in an 05 and I just replaced it's stock battery cause it had trouble starting when it was -25* this winter without being plugged in. I use that battery to run my fuel pump on my bulk diesel tank, I bet it will last another few years.

I had the similar issue with mine. There is a spray you can buy at auto parts store to neutralize battery acid. I used on the whole rear trunk area near battery and the underside. There was corrosion on the mounts to muffler under the battery.

you spray it and let it set and than spray area with water. acid is bad for fiber glass

Ed

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dremel to the rescue. The bolt was definitely totally stripped out inside the head. Problem solved!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can someone show me whats underneath the battery bracket from the bottom? Mine was seized and i had to drill it. But I'm not sure what I should do next. Any help would be appreciated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts