The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share may experience with everyone here, in case anyone else is considering the same. After falling in love with the color and purchasing the E400 I found (battleship grey), I wanted to add some of the oem carbon pieces that my car wasn't spec'd with. I purchased the access cover and front splitter from Gator motorsports and anxiously awaited they're arrival. The experience with Gator was great as expected.

Here comes the install.... Access cover is as simple as you think it is. Bolt it on and adjust the bumper stops a few times and thats it. The splitter how ever is a whole other story. You can access the screws from underneath with some work after removal of the front under trey. However its not just on with those screws, it's bonded to the fiberglass with whatever adhesive it is that Lotus uses. And I mean permanently bonded.

What I ended up doing, was starting from the ends and working towards the center, just breaking the stock plastic splitter apart by hand. It's technically made in 2 pieces, what you seeing on the outside, and then the part that has the screw holes in it. The 2 pieces are bonded together, but that is where it breaks apart. By doing this, eventually, I had the whole outer pieces off, and left with a strip of plastic adhered to the clam, that was about and inch tall. I then carefully took a very very sharp chisel and removed these leftovers (took like and hour). Luckily, any damage you do to this area is completely encompassed by the new splitter once you install it. Just gotta get it flat and fairly smooth so the new one fits up perfectly.

I'm super happy now that its done, and would do it again. The fit and finish of the new carbon piece is amazing. But, don't think this is a bolt off, bolt on job if you tackle it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s a couple of the destruction. It should be solid plastic between the 2 screw holes you see in left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts