The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess there is a thread somewhere with this comparaison, but i can't find it so here it is...

I want to change my air filter on my Elise SC (exhaust stage II), mostly street car.
Maybe once or twice a year at the track but not until next year.

I was going for the K&N but found out about the ITG which sounds interesting. But i can't find any review of the ITG.....

Anyway, which one should i consider first and why!? Do i gain anything other than durability with the K&N or ITG?

Thanks for the help!

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
I haven't ever heard good things about K&N coming from working on cars for a living and riding sport bikes. I have "heard" of a few power losses on bikes. As for cars, yes, I have seen them mess up maf's from being over oiled.

For air filters, I'll always go oem unless I have an actual aftermarket intake on the car.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Go with the ITG or another dry filter ... K&N's WILL foul up your MAF eventually. I had to clean my MAF every 2000KM's as it would affect the idle and cause the car to stall.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also heard that K&N would mess the MAF...

Should i consider the ITG over the OEM?
What are the advantage of the ITG over OEM?

Anyone have an ITG installed??

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I'm using ITG, so far so good.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
343 Posts
itg Maxogen

I've got the itg Maxogen intake and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have an ITG filter, can't say there was a performance gain. Its not a dry filter though, it definitely has oil, only thing is that its a foam filter unlike the K&N

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
3rd Hand Info:

Some Exxon/Mobil guys test filters. They take dim view of K&N because, while they are OK when brand new, people tend to over oil them after cleaning.

So, less flow, oil getting into intake.

I'm with BMW330. Use the stock paper filter. Toyota spends lots of money to ensure good flow w/good filtration.

Bottom line: Risk vs gain equation says avoid K&N and ~ filters, i.e. too little to gain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I helped develop the K&N filter for the Elise. Having spent 2 days at the Kinnor research facility with my Elise you have my assurance that it is the BEST. There is a reason why they develop panel filters for F1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts