The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish me luck. Track configuration 13, clockwise.

I understand we will be up against some crazy cars with gobs of horsepower and $$$$ (factory support).

Be back on Wednesday dead tired!
I am still hurting from Saturday's endurance karting race, but our team took a podium finish for the first time!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't hear from me again, it turned out very bad. :)

We (the team) are hoping for a mid-pack finish. Hard to expect too much since we will be down about 300hp or more to many of the cars ( I think we have about 350 ponies in the MR2).

The car owner is also hoping we don't wreck it, it will be wheel-to-wheel.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tired, ready to drop from exhaustion.

Interesting tidbit.... there was a silver Exige running. Checking it out, I noticed a Honda Type R engine and some familiar exhaust bends. Turns out Joe McCarthy was there also. We had a chat. I think he was at first a little bent about the guy (me) checking out the car. :)

Bummer for me, the car we were going to race in broke after a few laps during qualifying. Silly little part, the wastegate diaphram, but without it, the car was overboosting. A new part was found in Huntington Beach, and they tried to get it back on the car in time to at least get one official lap in, but they were not able to.

Some major hardware here, the fastest car had over $300k invested in it and was brought over from Japan (as were the drivers).

Mitch, this is a new thing sponsored by Sport Compact Car. It is called Time Attack and they hope to make it annual or maybe a series. Pretty much unlimited mods, most cars were amazing.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So what were the few laptimes you got in that car while it ran?
What was the best lapt time there with others?

Randy Chase said:

Bummer for me, the car we were going to race in broke after a few laps during qualifying.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
apkom said:
So what were the few laptimes you got in that car while it ran?
What was the best lapt time there with others?
Not good. We has 2:13 and 2:14 lap times before the car had problems. The Type R Exige did 2:07 in the morning. Fast cars were 2:05 and better. The absolute rockets were 1:54-1:58.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
People should read this thread - the Elise/Exige is NOT the fastest car in the world and you shouldn't be upset when high hp cars walk away from you.

What you have in your Elise is one of the purest driving experiences out there. Any one who drives a Miata knows that you don't have to be the fastest car to have the most fun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Best of luck Randy

now let's hijack his thread.

good point, it's not the fastest. I've always been about 1/4 mile 1/2 mile top speed 140-160 dashes. Now I'm starting to look at parking lots and think, damn Sunday morning sun comes up, I'm going to be doing laps around this thing and not risking my license/life. I've absolutely fallen in love with the idea of grinning at the vipers, porsche, vettes and arching an eyebrow when they want to line up at the light. What a relief to sit back and cherish thoughts of late breaking, deep apex, really-really hard g's. I'll watch them blow 2nd or roast their clutch and think back to the 8 corners that I experienced on the way to that light. I believe we are about to have our perception totally altered, and our expectations exceeded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts