The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded emails with the General Manager and Service Manager of Maserati of Baltimore. It's owned by the same guy who owns Ferrari of Washington, which you NOVA guys know is more than happy to and capable of working on our Lotus.

According to the service manager, MOB has three technicians who have done some extensive work on Elige/Exise, including engine rebuilds and supercharger installs. One guy put together the owner's Lotus Challenge series car.

My car is off warranty now, and I'm doing the basic fluids/brake pad stuff. Gonna check MOB out if I need anything more extensive. They're about as far away from me as Criswell, but it's worth checking out.

BTW, they hosted a car show tonight. Mostly tuner clubs, but some private owner Ferraris were on display, as well as MOB's inventory of Maseratis, Lamborghinis (had a really nice Diablo and several Murcielago and Gallardos).

·
Registered
284 Posts
that's actually good to know, i hit a nasty pothole last night on Hanover St exit and i swore i heard a snap. Are you doin the brakes yourself or having MOB service them? thanks.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's actually good to know, i hit a nasty pothole last night on Hanover St exit and i swore i heard a snap. Are you doin the brakes yourself or having MOB service them? thanks.
I'll tackle changing brake pads...but anything beyond that I'll trust to someone more competent than I.

If you try them out please share how the experience goes.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
284 Posts
actually, that's about the same distance for me (maybe even closer than MOB). I'm just looking for options at the moment, btw lotusforsale, im actually looking to change my brakes in the very near future, where did u get your pads from and what are you using? also i search here for instructions and there was one element i wasn't too sure about. I read that you need to get a tool to keep the brake lines from bleeding while you swap the pads out, is that also what your doin? thanks again for your advice and help.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
lotusforsale, that's good to know. i asked their "rep" at the Balitmore Auto show back in January about getting the car serviced at MOB (lot closer for me than Criswell) but the guy had no clue if they could do it or not. i guess since i wasn't wanting to buy the ferraris, lambos, or maseratis behind him, he didn't really wanna deal with me even though know one else was around. i think i'm going to try to do most of the basic stuff on my own since i have access to lifts, etc. its always nice to know there is somewhere more convenient if i need something big done though, granted that has to wait till my warranty runs out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm ready for new pads also. This sounds like a good do it yourself get together. If others are interested I can host it in Ellicott City when calendars align.

- Todd

·
Registered
446 Posts
Lotus Shop

Another alternative with many years of Lotus experience is Yesteryear Motorsports near BWI airport. (6360 South Hanover Rd., Elkridge, MD 21075) :up:

Jamie and his crew do great track prep work/repairs for me and the shop is always working on some interesting Esprits, Elises, etc. Another big plus is that they are very close to a MARC commuter train station so its easy to drop the car off and head to the office.

Infernoflo: you do not need a special tool, or any tool for that matter, to stop the brake lines from bleeding out while changing pads. The brake fluid in the lines will only begin to flow when you open the bleeder screws on the calipers. When swapping pads you will need to open the cap on the brake fluid reservoir so that you can push the pistons back into the calipers (to enable you to fit thicker new pads in there), but that does not cause fluid to bleed out. The bleeder screws on the calipers only need to be opened (by and 11mm wrench) when you are intentionally bleeding the brake fluid.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
I'm ready for new pads also. This sounds like a good do it yourself get together. If others are interested I can host it in Ellicott City when calendars align.

- Todd
I'm definitely interested in lending a hand, but it may be a bit before I'm available on a weekend again. Don't have much set in stone, but you know how things are. Drop me a PM or something when you have a date in mind.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oil Change etc.

Hi all - Interesting that this thread pops up just before my first service with the elise.
I am out of warranty as well and am close to my 15,000 mile service - it is the first service I will have done (bought the car with about 11k miles).
I am closer to MOB than to Criswell, and I have never liked taking cars to big dealers for service... I think this time I may go to Criswell because I know I need those rings around the headlights which should be able to be installed regardless of warranty expiration, right?

I guess I am wondering how everyone has liked dealing with Criswell? Should I take the Elise to MOB for regular scheduled maintenance or go to Criswell? I live in Westminster if anyone knows of any recommended shops in that area. Keep in mind, any service would probably need to be done late on a weeknight or on the weekend.
Any guidance is appreciated...

Thanks
-Will

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have taken mine to Criswell a few times. Marty is cool and their Lotus tech seems to know Lotus well. When you want to know what was really done, the cashier is useless, but Marty knows and so does their tech(I can't remember his name).

My only complaint so far was their after hours pickup driver that drove up my car almost put his weight on the windshield when he was getting out of the car. I was a bit surprised and said not to as he was about to do it. He should not have ever driven the car because he had a bum foot and obviously hadn't driven a lotus before.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another alternative with many years of Lotus experience is Yesteryear Motorsports near BWI airport. (6360 South Hanover Rd., Elkridge, MD 21075) :up:

Jamie and his crew do great track prep work/repairs for me and the shop is always working on some interesting Esprits, Elises, etc. Another big plus is that they are very close to a MARC commuter train station so its easy to drop the car off and head to the office.
Last I heard they'd closed up, and Jamie was working for another shop in the same industrial park. I know of at least 3 guys who had to go pick up their cars (all Esprits) in various states of disrepair and disassembly that Yesteryear had had for awhile, but never got around to working on. The previous owner of the Elise I now own is one of them. When I last talked to him, he was trying to figure out a way to get his Esprit picked up from the closed shop, as he had left it with Yesteryear some time ago and it was now generally in pieces.

Lots of talk about the situation at last year's Lotus Ltd club picnic in Ellicott City. Perhaps they're back in business, but when last I heard there were more than a few unhappy Lotus guys in the Baltimore/DC area regarding Yesteryear. If they're back hopefully their business model is a bit tighter this time around, we can use all the knowledgeable resources we can get.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Last I heard they'd closed up, and Jamie was working for another shop in the same industrial park. ... If they're back hopefully their business model is a bit tighter this time around, we can use all the knowledgeable resources we can get.
Yes, Jamie has reopened Yesteryear at a different location but in the same plaza. I think I had one of the first jobs done at the new shop early this year. I too heard they previously got ahead of themselves with big projects they couldn't finish, but gave them a chance because they were so knowledgeable as you said (specifically with respect to track setups), and because he came highly recommended to me from several autocrossers I know.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm definitely interested in lending a hand, but it may be a bit before I'm available on a weekend again. Don't have much set in stone, but you know how things are. Drop me a PM or something when you have a date in mind.
I'm down also, i'll bring the beers. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts