The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may have seen this on social media. I'm guessing this was sent to a UK customer (I blanked out their name) as it's been awhile since my last email from Lotus. In case Lotus delays the update for the US site--which would be odd because one new feature renders a video of your build on an awesome California road--just change your country to UK in the site menu or follow this UK link: Emira - Lotus Cars Official Website - For the Drivers
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
590 Posts
Wow.... BRAVO Lotus!!! Finally we get accurate looking colors and a better representation of what to expect in reality. Car looks even better in this configurator - as it should!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, whatever gripes I had with Lotus' previous online configurator are now all water under the bridge. This latest configurator update is fantastic! And what a treat to see and watch the car move around in all of the different specs. I'm having trouble putting this feeling into words... What's the opposite of buyers' remorse??? 😄

Big props to Lotus for this. The Big Sur video preview is an especially creative and classy touch, but IMO the camera doesn't linger long enough on the car's "good angles". So I've gone ahead and taken some high-quality screenshots for extended ogling. God, what a fantastic-looking car:

Update: enhanced the photos so that you can actually see the black rims:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle Car
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light
Sky Wheel Tire Car Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a great update, way better than I was expecting. The ability to change colour in the middle of the video is a nice touch too.

I saw all 6 FE colours on real cars at the factory last week and can confirm these are really good representations of the actual colours and how they behave with different angles and lighting. It's not 100% but for a render it's amazingly good.

The Dark Verdant in the Video mode is a bit too light, so refer to the Daylight/Sunlight modes for a more realistic impression. On Magma Red it doesn't quite capture how the individual metallic flakes are visible on well-lit surfaces from about 10 feet and closer to the car. But that's a minor point and very difficult to show in a render.

I hope Lotus have got their IT dialled up to 11 to handle all the site traffic today!

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's a great update, way better than I was expecting. The ability to change colour in the middle of the video is a nice touch too.

I saw all 6 FE colours on real cars at the factory last week and can confirm these are really good representations of the actual colours and how they behave with different angles and lighting. It's not 100% but for a render it's amazingly good.
Tom, did you see any of the cars with black wheels on them? In all the renders (new and old) it's felt like the area in the wheel well is overly dark, and a black rim choice causes the wheel to really disappear in the darkness. Normally I'm a black wheel guy but so far it hasn't felt good seeing them on the Emira. I'm wondering if black wheels might be a notably better experience in real life...

·
Registered
25 Posts

The Dark Verdant in the Video mode is a bit too light, so refer to the Daylight/Sunlight modes for a more realistic impression. On Magma Red it doesn't quite capture how the individual metallic flakes are visible on well-lit surfaces from about 10 feet and closer to the car. But that's a minor point and very difficult to show in a render.

I hope Lotus have got their IT dialled up to 11 to handle all the site traffic today!
Based on the cars you saw, which would you say personally is the most impressive color?

These renders make Nimbus really interesting, like the screenshot below looks satin in the rear and chrome on the sides, and that effect changes all around the car based on the light. Based on what you saw, would you say the real-life Nimbus has the same effect, or is it a wonky rendering?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

I can see what you mean about nimbus grey having the similar highlights and lowlights as Storm Titanium (what I had on my Elise) in the sun, but just in a different color tone.

Torn between nimbus and dark verdant.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In all the renders (new and old) it's felt like the area in the wheel well is overly dark, and a black rim choice causes the wheel to really disappear in the darkness.
I was thinking the same thing. Black wheels shouldn't appear that dark. Just compare it to a real-life photo of a car with black wheels:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

In my opinion, here's what I think the Emira would actually look like with black wheels:
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Night and day difference!

Edit: FYI, I've batch-edited all of the screenshots in my earlier posts too, to hopefully help other people out with the choice of black wheels or no black wheels!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
These renders make Nimbus really interesting, like the screenshot below looks satin in the rear and chrome on the sides, and that effect changes all around the car based on the light. Based on what you saw, would you say the real-life Nimbus has the same effect, or is it a wonky rendering?
In a previous post, they compared the effect to storm titanium, a color I had for 15 years. Really doubt it is chrome per se, but here is a picture of my old Elise in storm titanium in the bright California sun. As you can see, the certain edges of the paint almost get washed out in the sun, with the metallic flake sending light back to your eyes. This creates a lot of low lights and highlights. If the paint is not getting direct and bright sunlight, then the car looks more like a consistent shade of grey.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
25 Posts
In a previous post, they compared the effect to storm titanium, a color I had for 15 years. Really doubt it is chrome per se, but here is a picture of my old Elise in storm titanium in the bright California sun. As you can see, the certain edges of the paint almost get washed out in the sun, with the metallic flake sending light back to your eyes. This creates a lot of low lights and highlights. If the paint is not getting direct and bright sunlight, then the car looks more like a consistent shade of grey.

View attachment 1306982
Thank you, I missed the earlier post. Storm Titanium is probably the color I’m most familiar with, since a good friend has owned one for several years. That was sort of my fear, that Nimbus would be a little too familiar. Chrome is perhaps too strong a word, it’s almost like a satin chrome effect in the renders. I suspect you’re right though, and it’s not really so sharply contrasted in person. Might still be the most dynamic color across the car’s surfaces.

I appreciate all of the work lotus has done here but it hasn’t helped my decision much lol.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Tom can confirm, but Nimbus definitely appears to have a bronze / gold undertone to it that storm titanium lacks. Storm titanium does have a brown undertone (as opposed to the blue undertone of say graphite grey or the Emira's dark grey), but it definitely doesn't appear champagne or bronze in any light.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts