The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the new Group Lotus website:
For the Elise 111R/Exige ‘Mk.2’/USA Elise:
These models have been tested in all climatic conditions likely to be encountered with Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W/40 oil which offers advantages in ease of cranking, smooth cold running and fuel economy at low temperatures, in combination with good wear protection at elevated temperatures and at high engine speeds. However, if a car is to be driven on track at maximum effort, or in conditions or a manner likely to result in very high oil temperatures being achieved, the engine oil should be changed for Castrol Formula RS 10W/60.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Castrol 10W-60 is used in the BMW E39 M5 V8 and BMW E46 M3 straight 6. In fact, BMW changed their prior spec oil for the M3 to 10W60 after their bearing problems with the earlier M3s.

This oil dynoed well in an oil showdown test, surprising given that the thicker oil is harder to pump. With this thick oil it might be a good idea to use high revs something like 5 minutes or so past achieving full water temperature so that the seals have an easier job. That way the oil will thin down a bit.

This Castrol oil is readily available at your friendly, neighborhood BMW dealer. It runs about 9 bucks a quart though.

Hmmm...there are two 10W60 Castrols: Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 and Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60. The former is what they are suggesting, not sure what the difference is between the two. EDIT: It appears that RS and TWS are the same per BMW and that the latter superceded the former...at least in some markets.

Man the Elise uses two tough to find oils...the Texaco 5W40 and the Castrol 10W60.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
how about people who live in places like Florida where its always hot, shoud we switch to the thicker oil even though track time is gong to be limited to 2 or 3 times a year?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I am planning on doing a track day in a week or so. Does anyone think that it is good idea to change to this oil? Has anyone changed to it yet? <<<

I'd say it's a good idea for the open track...20-25 minute sessions and so forth. The Celica guys see oil temps well past 300 F. Of course they have no oil coolers. Not only can use use the 10W60 Castrol for track events, but the cheaper and easier to find Mobil 1 15W50 is recc'd by Lotus.

Stan

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Stan said:

Hmmm...there are two 10W60 Castrols: Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 and Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60. The former is what they are suggesting, not sure what the difference is between the two. EDIT: It appears that RS and TWS are the same per BMW and that the latter superceded the former...at least in some markets.

Man the Elise uses two tough to find oils...the Texaco 5W40 and the Castrol 10W60.
the RS is a newer formulation, and is not approved by BMW for the M3 or M5 (or Z8).

So, you won't be able to find the RS at the BMW dealership

Both the BMW approved TWS Motorsport and the new not approved Formula RS are 10W-60 oils but with different characteristics. The viscosity at 40°C and 100°C are the same since they both are SAE 10W-60. But other values as the pour point (-54°C vs -42°C), flash point (240°C vs 208°C) and total base number (8,6 vs 11,0) are very different.
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/5853157-1.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
How about an update on this topic?

Stan,

You stated that Mobil 1 15W50 is ok to use. When I read the document for the US spec. Elise it was not mentioned as ok but for other non-us models it was approved.

So what is the truth on Lotus recommended or more important approved oils for using the Elise at the track.

Is Redline approved? I think it meets all the requirements other than they don't make 5W40 or 10W60. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks 008,

I did not see that before, must have missed it or it's new. My initial thinking was also 10W40 Redline. I have been using it for my Z06 at the track and on the street. Still have some in the case as well.

But is the 10W60 really approved for the US Elise? It does not say that in the ops manual.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>You stated that Mobil 1 15W50 is ok to use. When I read the document for the US spec. Elise it was not mentioned as ok but for other non-us models it was approved. So what is the truth on Lotus recommended or more important approved oils for using the Elise at the track. Is Redline approved? I think it meets all the requirements other than they don't make 5W40 or 10W60.<<<

Lotus noted M1 15W50 and Castrol 10W60 on their web site for track useage. Track stuff is not covered in the owner's manual.

Redline is not specifically mentioned. I'm using Mobil 1 0W40 at the moment.

Stan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where is the best place to obtain Castrol TWS Motorsport 10w-60 engine oil?

TIA, Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts