The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thankfully this isn't a "I crashed the Lotus" thread. Im driving on the highway and I take this exit to merge to another highway. At first sight it appear like a long slow exit. I wasn't accelerating hard but I was cruising at a decent speed. Anyway, it turns into an instant sharp curve. And to make it worse it was a looooong exit. I tried to brake some before I hit the curve but it was too late. The car started to go sideways and I instantly put my foot down on the gas about halfway and started to steer away from the curve. The car stayed sideways but I had control. After a couple seconds my nerves completely calmed as I knew I was in full control. So after about a 270 degree sideways turn I popped on the highway as if I meant to do that. :coolnana:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Nice, I've had my tires break loose around a corner, but nothing as scary as what you're describing.

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
haha! nice. :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to control it while it was sideways. I'm just happy that I have watched and read enough material to the point where I mentally knew what to do. All that was left was to put it in action. Even though you would definitely want to get your first hand experience done in a controlled environment... I didn't have that luxury.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well at least now you know you can handle it in a slide. Glad you reacted correctly and didnt over steer. I had somethin similar happen to me on my 954RR hit some sand on an exit ramp and did a power slide. Never want to have to do that again on two wheels.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Don't try that at home.
I think I'll try your stuff at Willow Springs on the skid pad.

Have you tracked your Elise yet?

--Hal

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to control it while it was sideways. I'm just happy that I have watched and read enough material to the point where I mentally knew what to do. All that was left was to put it in action. Even though you would definitely want to get your first hand experience done in a controlled environment... I didn't have that luxury.
finally all those hours of gran turismo finally paid off. :clap:

·
Registered
356 Posts
good save man!

similar happened to me the 2 weeks ago, my normal exit right of the highway had a patch of wet (I have no idea how it got wet just that are) which caught me off guard, the back twitched a bit first, then i instinctively let of the gas and started loosing it, but thanks to hours of practice on iracing with the spec race ford on a 900 degree wheel, it felt very natural to counter and gas my way out of it...but i can say, that was close...phew...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
finally all those hours of gran turismo finally paid off. :clap:
I think the racing game that I played the most was Test Drive Unlimited on the 360. I easily had 100+ hours put into that game a few years ago. The FF steering wheels are a must!

·
Registered
356 Posts
a bit off topic, but i really wonder if somebody has driven a ford spec racer in real life, and in iracing and can offer some comparison, is lift-off oversteer that dramatic and easy to trigger in real life?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Should hit up an auto-x so you can play with this, just so you feel like you have more control of the car and realize how much braking or off-throttle on turn in can lead to the tail stepping out ! Or find out what happens if you correct then slam on the brakes (SNAP!).

You can feel in control, then all of sudden the tires will grip and the car will spin the opposite way, this is an easy way to total a lotus on the street. In some situations, it may be better to just slam the brakes and spin to the inside, than try to save it and end up on the opposite concrete median

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
nice save man :clap:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That's great ! :clap:

As others have said, you should try to do some more practice on an autocross or even better, a well-organized HPDE/driving school, with some instruction. :shift:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yeah, these things happen. Most people instinctivly would hit the brakes in the middle of the turn when they see the decreasing radius coming up. Good thing you didn't and reacted like a good Lotus driver. Good job.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should hit up an auto-x so you can play with this, just so you feel like you have more control of the car and realize how much braking or off-throttle on turn in can lead to the tail stepping out ! Or find out what happens if you correct then slam on the brakes (SNAP!).

You can feel in control, then all of sudden the tires will grip and the car will spin the opposite way, this is an easy way to total a lotus on the street. In some situations, it may be better to just slam the brakes and spin to the inside, than try to save it and end up on the opposite concrete median
I actually contemplated this (amazing how many thoughts can crossed your mind in a split second when they have to) but it was too much of a dip on the inside and a possible chance of rolling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts