The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a very sunny but cold day so I decided to take the Elise to grab some lunch. Plus it gave me an excuse to take a break from work, get out from behind the computer and out of the house for 30mins.

Just my luck....road debris that I didn't see caught my splitter and snapped a huge chunk off. I even saw debris flying in the rear view. The splitter was ripped down to the point of being sanded by the road. Lots of ripped fiber glass on the clam underneath, the thin part that bolts to the front metal tray. From a "walk around" standpoint, damage can be seen on the licence plinth with most damage hidden underneath. Could have been worse but man.....

Not too upset....it's the worst thing that's ever happened to the car in a decade of owning it. It is, what it is. I was planning on having the front resprayed and new protection film installed before before summer anyways. I'm still rocking the star shield that came on the car. The verticle front was bare, so there are several tiny paint chips from years of road use.

May use it as an excuse to grab Greg's Exige front end conversation...or just go the cheap route with a glass repair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Glad your still in good spirits. Looks repairable or go the shaved plinth route as I did. Definitely a good reason now to get resprayed and a new paint film. Good luck with your repairs.

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@NoRawkus305

Thanks Gabe! It could have been worse! The splitter took the brunt of the damage but really did a number on the pickup points. Looking closer underneath, it's shredded. Kicks me in the butt to get the car ready for summer. Hey another bonus, since the clams off already I can replace the stock radiator.

Care to share some pics of what you did? I'll most likely settle with just the glass repairs so hey, while getting it fixed.....shouldn't be too much more trouble.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Oh damn!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
@NoRawkus305

Thanks Gabe! It could have been worse! The splitter took the brunt of the damage but really did a number on the pickup points. Looking closer underneath, it's shredded. Kicks me in the butt to get the car ready for summer. Hey another bonus, since the clams off already I can replace the stock radiator.

Care to share some pics of what you did? I'll most likely settle with just the glass repairs so hey, while getting it fixed.....shouldn't be too much more trouble.

Most recent pic I have off my phone. I was test fitting GRP cf lip. There was damage on the plinth from previous owner so I decided to just shave it off. Had it done about 5 years ago.
IMG_7724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mobius97

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Shew,

That's a lot of money for not a lot of needed repairs. IMO

We all place our cash on the table for what we think is important. Not that you asked,budda
I would get a new cf splitter, do a quick repair of the clam, touch up paint what is needed, get the old ppf off, pay for a very good paint correction/ detail prior to putting new ppf on,

My guess you would come out thousands ahead and if so desired that money could go to some vegas dream mod your likely holding out for...

I hit a possum coming back across the country and it destroyed my splitter, tore out the fiberglass where it was screwed in, just like yours. I only have one area left where I have to use more epoxy, sand and then find CO rattlecan touchup paint to fix that area on/ under the clam that was damaged.

P.S sorry your car got messed up

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Motard

Agreed, it will still cost a bit to get the fiberglass repaired. I am thinking a few grand. It cost me $3400 to paint the black pack on my Evora and replace all the PPF around the entire car. Thinking my guy can do the same for this issue for a bit more. I have no desire to learn to do the repair myself and have no problem paying for someone with experience to do it correctly.

I was already planning on a front respray and PPF, the glass repair is an unfortunate added cost. My hardware ripped out in a few places like yours and the bottom is ripped in a few places and has holes from some of the bolts and washers pulling thru. Luckily it is only cosmetic damage and not really visible.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
If any of the damage to my vehicle was visible then yes i would have had a professional do it, It got a little goopy like kindergarden art class, but it sanded down perfectly, just saying really isn't hard. All bets would have been off had it been visible or structural damage,

Of course I realize my limits. ( sometimes)

I forget how cheap bartertown can actually be... It was a friend who (happens to be ) the best in town, and it was a steal of a deal to paint correction, then apply new xpel. ( I helped take old stuff off to make the time burden easier on him.) about 1k all in, including the film...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@me73

I am going to talk to the owner down at Taj to see if he can handle it. They are in Issaquah off of Gilman in that auto strip mall by Big O Tires. Great work and awesome pricing. They do everything from restorations to "normal" body work. He did the paint work on my Evora a year or so ago and it was a pleasure dealing with him and his wife.

·
Less is Better
2,700 Posts
@me73

I am going to talk to the owner down at Taj to see if he can handle it. They are in Issaquah off of Gilman in that auto strip mall by Big O Tires. Great work and awesome pricing. They do everything from restorations to "normal" body work. He did the paint work on my Evora a year or so ago and it was a pleasure dealing with him and his wife.
I just sent you a PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts