The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo I am about to install my ohlins and I was wondering if It matters which side the rears go on? they are labeled from the previous owner but the remote reservoirs are setup to be mounted on the triangulation bars.. Which Is where i would like to install them but I have a lot of other components in that area. The way the reservoirs are now i cant really swing them around to mount them on the tow links or lower A arms. So I was thinking I could swap the drivers side with the passenger side since the reservoir lines will bend the correct way.

In a nut shell are these interchangeable between driver side and passenger side?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I have them on my Sport and I can't think of why they wouldn't be switchable side to side. I am no engineer, however. I wouldn't put them on the toe link, that's my 0.02 cents.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The way the reservoirs are now i cant really swing them around to mount them on the tow links or lower A arms.
Just to clarify, you're trying to mount the reservoirs to the to the a-arms? That seems counterproductive. I'd mount them to the frame or body.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I have mine in stock factory locations. The fronts are on the lower A-arm cross brace and I believe the rears are as well. I can reach up under the diffuser behind the tire and set the compression without too much trouble, other than being on the ground. Sorry, I don't have a photo at the moment, but you may want to look under Sport Elise and see if there are any photos of the stock reservoir mounting points in pictures. BTW, the stock reservoir mounting points from the factory are held on by hose clamps.

The inner cross brace of the A-arms is so close to being unsprung weight that it probably doesn't make that much of a difference. The brace is almost at the centerline of the inner A-arm location.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... are the shocks universal?? for instance. my RR LR shock has the reservoir routed to go towards the front of the car. and its almost impossible to mount the shock on the arm with the adjuster facing the rear of the car. If i switch the RR with LR the reservoir will point towards the rear of the car and be easier to install on the A arms with the adjuster facing the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i mounted mine on the support for the rollbar in the rear and in the front under the access panel. I bought a kit from a guy named frank at Concours cars that has aluminum brackets. gives better access and reduces unsprung weight

So... are the shocks universal?? for instance. my RR LR shock has the reservoir routed to go towards the front of the car. and its almost impossible to mount the shock on the arm with the adjuster facing the rear of the car. If i switch the RR with LR the reservoir will point towards the rear of the car and be easier to install on the A arms with the adjuster facing the rear of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts