The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if there is significant difference between the Bilsteins suspension I have the the Ohlins suspension that was available. I am pretty happy with my current setup but curious about the Ohlins

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
From what I've gathered so far...
Track Pack Bilsteins are Rebound-only SINGLE adjustables with 271/371 lbs/in ~ (???/??? lbs/in) Progressive springs.
Track Pack Ohlins (first used in CUP cars), are Compression AND Rebound DOUBLE adjustables on 425/550 lbs/in Linear springs.

Additionally, Nitron Singles are on 425/550, and Doubles are on 475/600 lbs/in.

If anyone has better info, feel free the correct me or add more info.

This info might be only for Exiges, but I have a feeling it might be the case for Elises as well.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I had a 2005 LSS Elise with Bilstein, very good suspension. I have Ohlins, shocks and springs, on my 2006 Sport and there is a big difference. On track, adjustability for wheel control, on road, ride quality suppleness is much better. Necessary? No. Better damping both on road and track use? Yes.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am curious if there is significant difference between the Bilsteins suspension I have the the Ohlins suspension that was available. I am pretty happy with my current setup but curious about the Ohlins
Resist the dark sides , stay happy.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had a 2005 LSS Elise with Bilstein, very good suspension. I have Ohlins, shocks and springs, on my 2006 Sport and there is a big difference. On track, adjustability for wheel control, on road, ride quality suppleness is much better. Necessary? No. Better damping both on road and track use? Yes.
I fully agree! I mounted the Sport Elise Ohlins on my 2006 Elise several years ago and love them.

They are great on track, of course, but when I get back , I just dial the compression out four clicks and the street comfort is FAR superior to the original Sport shocks.

Also, they are rebuildable, if needed. I have probably 15,000 or so mile on mine and they are still working great.

Just do it! (but then you might also need baffled oil pan, rear strut brace, V2 steering arms, LS anti roll bar, mono balls, etc, etc. etc.)

:up:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Biggest difference you feel is from the internal charge pressures. Bilstein runs a significantly higher psi than Ohlins which contributes to a relatively harsher ride. Past that, there are significant benefits to the Ohlins by their valving and independent compression and rebound adjustments which both result in better ride and handling. Will you notice a significant difference? Ride, for sure, and handling depends on what you use the car for.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the Ohlins in my cup 240 and they are comfy on the street and diligent on the track, however the default spring rates are too soft if you are using slicks or semi-slicks. I believe they are 325/425. I'm currently tracking down some 480/600 which is about the stiffest Ohlins spring available for these shocks.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I went from Nitron singles 525/650 on my 2006 Elise to the track-pack Bilsteins on my 2008 Exige S240. The Exige is stock ride height, stock toe, more negative camber.
My first impression of the Bilstein's was they were VERY soft and made the car "wollow" when changing direction quickly. However, they feel more planted in fast sweepers than the Nitrons and inspired more confidence. But, this could be attributable to other suspension differences between the two cars. Both cars have/had V2 arms with max camber, titan quick rack, DS brace with toe-pins, stiffer ARB, and lighter rotors than stock.

The Bilsteins are more compliant over broken pavement and offer an over all better ride quality when cruising. The Nitrons are harsh and lack refinement on the road but perform well on the track...understandably so. Nitron singles are track dampers.

-The more I drive the Exige with the Bilsteins the more I have grown to understand the philosophy behind the engineering of a softer suspension that
intentionally induces lost of body roll. I don't like excessive body roll because quick direction changes are less precise and an unsettle the car as opposed to a high spring rate damper. Bilstein track pack has 271/371 rates....VERY soft even for such a light car...

-Robert

·
Registered
327 Posts
^^ I agree about the changing of direction. That's my main gripe with the softness of the default spring rates. I don't quite get your point about the intentional use of softer rates though...are you suggesting it's done for a performance advantage or merely for a compromise between street and track? I am thinking the latter because there's no way it's advantageous for performance. At most, it makes the car more predictable under the limit for a novice driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts