The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Hong KOng and I have a 2005 Exige Supercharged with charge cooler.

My car is a track car ONly. Not for street..

My water and Oil temp raise very high just one lap driving on the track.

Water gets up to 110C and only drop to 105C down the main straight

The oil temperature goes up to 135C just one lap of hard driving.

I have mounted a 3-bypass 45mm thick Radiator at the front.

Mounted 2 separate oil coolers at the front left and right

Mounted the Charge cooler radiator just underneath the Water Radiator.

Ducts were installed to divert as much air to the oil coolers.

What can cause the problem??

I checked the thermostat and it works fine

I have ordered a 68C thermostat and will install to test later..

I am also going to change the water pump just incase its faulty

What else should I be looking at???

I will try to add some pictures later

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

45mm radiator with 3 by pass in the middle..

2 x oil coolers at the corners.

Charge Cooler radiator at the bottom

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

Charge Cooler mounted at the bottom
I cannot tell from the pictures, but is the charge cooler air running through the radiator?

Without measuring the air temp before and after the radiators and coolers it might be difficult to work out what is or is not happening.
Also you need to ensure that there is airflow through the coolers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes..the air goes on top of the charge cooler radiator and then supposingly goes through the radiator on top and exit through those 3 holes in the clam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Who built this for you? Your airflow is probably disrupted by the charge cooler. Disrupted in the sense your radiator isn't being fed cold air because of that charge cooler which means design failure. If I were you I would dismantle that charge cooler and do a rerun. If temps are back to normal you then know what the problem is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So...are u saying that the bottom Charge Cooler Radiator is feeding hot air to the water radiator??

So the water radiator is not getting enough cold air??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I still have 2 fans blowing the water radiator..

Do u think it is wise to remove them??

This is not a street car.....track car only

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So...are u saying that the bottom Charge Cooler Radiator is feeding hot air to the water radiator??

So the water radiator is not getting enough cold air??
That is what he is saying.
It is getting hot air.

You could make sure that you have enough air flow, but you should see the water temp jump up when the boost jumps up. Measuring the pre and post air temp would be helpful - I suspect that the air going into the radiator is ~80C (out of the charge cooler).

I still have 2 fans..
I would check the flow with an anemometer.
I would keep at least one, but I would make sure that they are not hindering the airflow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I am thinking about moving the charge cooler radiator in the simular position as this redbull GT3 car..

Has anyone else try this setup?? any comments???

·
Registered
182 Posts
Although I do not have a charge cooler, or forced induction at all, I had similar issues with my water temps. The fix: I changed the position of my radiator, lowered the rear end of it, removed the fan from the bottom, mounted one on top (just in case). sealed everything around the radiator, you can not have holes around it, all the air has to go through the rad, and I replaced the water pump pulley to an underdrive one (suspected cavitation at high RPMs) . I did all this at the same time so I can't really tell which one had the most effect or if a particular mod had any but my temps were in the 110C range and rising unless I backed off the throttle and left the track. After: the highest ever temp was 87C in 40C ambient.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have a turbo race Elise and my intercooler is in the back as shown on the Redbull car. I have an aftermarket water radiator and stock oil coolers and my temperatures stay under 100 deg C water and 125 oil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a turbo race Elise and my intercooler is in the back as shown on the Redbull car. I have an aftermarket water radiator and stock oil coolers and my temperatures stay under 100 deg C water and 125 oil
Do u mind taking pictures to show me your set ups?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
It looks like your charge cooler takes air from the intake and runs it through the chargecooler radiator and out the bottom of the car. That might be limiting the flow to the main radiator. I think you are getting a huge pressure loss to the main radiator.

The Esprit SE-S4s all had the radiators stacked, so it goes Chargecooler->AC Condensor->engine radiator. That design worked pretty well on those models...

For a quick test, you could cover the chargecooler rad inlet to see if the main engine temp is lower.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Although I do not have a charge cooler, or forced induction at all, I had similar issues with my water temps. The fix: I changed the position of my radiator, lowered the rear end of it, removed the fan from the bottom, mounted one on top (just in case). sealed everything around the radiator, you can not have holes around it, all the air has to go through the rad, and I replaced the water pump pulley to an underdrive one (suspected cavitation at high RPMs) . I did all this at the same time so I can't really tell which one had the most effect or if a particular mod had any but my temps were in the 110C range and rising unless I backed off the throttle and left the track. After: the highest ever temp was 87C in 40C ambient.
I might try remove one of the fans...Hope it works.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I might try remove one of the fans...Hope it works.
I think that you would be better off (time wise) in getting an Kestral (TM) anemometer or similar and doing some measurements.
The fan is not likely causing any grief unless it is spinning backwards.
The other thing you want to know if the temps.
Without those numbers then you are drooping in the dark, but pushing heated air through the radiator is pretty easy to see as a potential issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts