The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the oil in my Esprit and something curious is happening......

Owner's Manual / Service Notes both say the capacity is 6.9 qts (with filter change). When I drained the engine, I also disconnected the oil cooler lines and drained the coolers / lines. Does anyone know if this changes the capacity for re-fill --- meaning that does the 6.9 qts capacity take into account the volume of oil stored in the coolers / lines ???

The reason I ask is that I already have 7 qts added back in, and I'm still seeing nothing on the dipstick which, of course, leads me to think I need to add even more.......however, I want to be very careful to not over-fill.

Anyone change their oil with draining the coolers also, and do you remember the re-fill capacity in that case ???

Thanks

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Where did you disconnect the oil lines? I have yet to change my oil (just had it changed before taking delivery 1 month ago), and I would like to know the best process.

Leaving 3 qts of old oil in the system doesn't sound like a good idea, but I guess most mechanics just drain the sump?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Draining the oil cooler lines is probably more trouble than it's worth. There's no easy way to disconnect them and you risk damaging the fittings more often than not IMHO...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Maybe it's easier just to do a double oil change to flush out the system.

Reactions: datjr2345

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you disconnect the oil lines? I have yet to change my oil (just had it changed before taking delivery 1 month ago), and I would like to know the best process.

Leaving 3 qts of old oil in the system doesn't sound like a good idea, but I guess most mechanics just drain the sump?
The Service Notes & Owner's Manual actually recommend to drain the coolers / lines if you can when doing an oil change --- but, I strongly suspect most shops never really do it.

In my case, I already had to disconnect the lines (at the oil filter head) to repair a leaky fitting, so I went ahead and drained the coolers by picking up the front end of the car and dropping the ends of the hoses down low under the car ---- gravity took care of it, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the oil in the coolers and lines drained. Probably I would not do that if I did not have to --- it is a PITA to get the lines off and back on tight. If they are not leaking, I think it is best to leave them undisturbed.

And I think I heard that if you drain them, you have to unmount the oil coolers to get all the air out.
That should not be necessary ---- it is not a "closed system" with respect to air exposure / pressure. There is the PCV loop and the large air volume above the oil in the sump, so just running the oil pump (the engine) for a while will eventually replace any trapped air in the coolers with oil, purging the displaced air into the sump.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
When I did it and drained the oil coolers it took 7 1/2 quarts. And that was to the full mark. I disconnected the lines at the coolers. It is a huge pain, those fittings are on there very tight so they won't leak. You take a chance damaging the coolers by doing it, it is probably better to do them by the motor. If you have 7 in already and don't see it on the stick maybe you have a problem with your dipstick. If you overfill you can always get some out but each quart is expensive! You do overfill because you have to fill the oil filter (and the coolers if you drained them). Aim to finish with the level on the full mark.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
214 Posts
It drives some folks crazy to know that much oil is not getting changed. Taking the lines off at the cooler is a pain as I always have to take the fittin out on one side to get to the other. I have had at least one person tell me that they cut the line up front and installed a drain Tee. You couls also install Two Tees in the rear and blow it out and refill. In general, i don't worry about it - but then again my cars seldom move.
Guy

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
FWIW ---

I ended up getting a full fill this time around with just about 9 1/4 qts :)

So, this was a spendy oil change (even at the "$0.00" labor rate for DIY :p) --

(10 qts) oil at $8.99/qt
oil filter at $18
sump plug O-ring at $2.40
(2) oil line seals at $6.50 ea
new AN fitting at filter head at $14

TOTAL = $145.54 (including tax) :eek:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just as a comparison, My Porsche Cayyane that my wife drives takes 9 1/2 quarts of syn at $10 per and the oil filter (just a crummy paper element) is $28 and the large "O" ring for the cannister is $3.50. My labor of course but to get to it you have to remove and replace 2 large underbody covers. That takes a long as the actual oil change. No more $9.95 specials for these cars! BTW it also (like the Lotus) wants premium gas, not that cheaper regular stuff! If you want cheaper get a Corvette.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
396 Posts
Considering Mobil 1 (depending on type and degree of hard use) could go maybe 10K miles or more, changing at 7,500 miles with a Mobil 1 filter and magnet on outside, leaving oil coolers amount to linger seems like no big deal. Your mileage may vary. These days the V8 uses Mobil 1 5W-40 Formula M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts