The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i heard a buddy (NOT A LOTUS OWNER) say that a he talked to a Lotus Owner who said that it costs him 1100 to change his oil?

i am pretty sure that this is a far fetched grease monkey story so i had to verify it, please tell me he is insane!

how much does it cost?!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i do it myself and cost maybe 50 buxs in oil and filter.

like any car - if you take it into a service center and have other things fixed as well - the cost can add up.

elise is an easy oil change - no big deal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I do it myself with $50 worth of Royal Purple, but the most I ever paid for an oil change was around $400, on a Ferrari.

If someone is paying $1100, I hope it comes with a "happy ending" massage or something. :shrug:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol me too!

thanks for letting me know guys. what is the big difference in changing the elise oil? i know that the undercarrage is much different.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
From what I have read here, I pay the most for a oil change at $350. I have a exige, maybe your friend was refering to a oil change in a esprit?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Maybe he is using liquid gold? Or perhaps the mechanic is Carmen Electra?
SWEET! Where is this $1100.00 oil change? rotfl

Everyone else nailed it, but I've seen prices range from $250-350.00 if you don't do it yourself.

It's about $50.00 to do it yourself with this car using quality oil. You could technically do it for $15 if you wanted to use conventional oil... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well the jerks at a BMW dealer in Atlanta tried to charge me $22 a quart for oil on a change for my M5 once. That discussion got rather loud, the idiot service manager tried to convince me it was "genuine" BMW oil. So no matter what the Lotus dealers say or do, it is only worse over at BMW!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well the jerks at a BMW dealer in Atlanta tried to charge me $22 a quart for oil on a change for my M5 once. That discussion got rather loud, the idiot service manager tried to convince me it was "genuine" BMW oil. So no matter what the Lotus dealers say or do, it is only worse over at BMW!
BMW is supposed to have free maintenance... Unless this is an old car?
Yes... so far I haven't had to pay for oil changes on my M5....

Don't ask me how much I've spent on replacing batteries though... :mad:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
walmart shell rotella 5w-40, $17/gallon, toyota oil filter, $10, do it yourself.
works well for me.
sam

·
Registered
317 Posts
lol me too!

thanks for letting me know guys. what is the big difference in changing the elise oil? i know that the undercarrage is much different.
You do have to drop the access panel which would be a big pain if it wasn't for an air rachet or electric screwdriver. Other than that, it's no different than any other car. You do need a standard Toyota plug gasket.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Lotus doesnt void your warranty for changing your own oil?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Lotus doesnt void your warranty for changing your own oil?

Lotus can't just void a warranty. Whatever you do has to be proven to cause detriment to the OEM parts. Even if you turbocharge the car, it doesn't mean your warranty is voided.

So if Lotus can either prove or have reasonable thougth that you changing your own oil harmed a part on the car, they might deny that coverage. But seriously, a monkey can change oil on a Lotus Elise/Exige.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts