The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here it goes. I read the "Uberpost" and realize that 5W-40 oil is recommended (Lotus Elise), but when I search the net, I'm seeing that some 5W-40 is diesel engine oil.

Same thing or different?

What brand of oil are you "DIY" putting into your cars?

·
Premium Member
11,754 Posts
mobil 1 turbo diesel truck oil is it

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Ignore the diesel reference as being inappropriate. The extra zinc constituent of diesel oil is a positive for the configuration of the engine in our cars. All the other specifications of this oil are suitable.
Michael

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rotella T6

Shell Rotella T6!
I see the specs on the Shell Rotella T6 are not the same as the Mobile 1 or Castrol Syntec (now called Edge) - both match the spec requirements in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignore the diesel reference as being inappropriate. The extra zinc constituent of diesel oil is a positive for the configuration of the engine in our cars. All the other specifications of this oil are suitable.
Michael
that's reassuring. thanks for the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Red line 10w 40 has the zddp you need. Ryal purple good as well or the motul. There are many differing views. I alao use 6 oz of redline breakin oil at each change. It is basically straight zddp

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
lots of options out there for good oils with ZDDP-if you google ZDDP oil you'll see lots and lots of various forums discussing it-this additive is important in all sorts of high performance engines so there is a constant hunt for the best.

5w-40 is just the weight you need-but these motors really need a good dose of ZDDP-mobil 1 turbo diesel truck, shell rotella T diesel truck, and some of the royal purple and red line oils all offer it.

Looking at some race/high performance engine forums, many are wary of zddp additives after the fact, because you are not getting a consistent amount of ZDDP in your oil pan from oil change to oil change, unless you are hyper precise with both oil and the additive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts