The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil with the standard 5w40 (mobil1). Apparently, this is a diesel truck mixture in the states. In Europe, the 5w40 is considered a performance engine car oil. Has anyone used anything different? I used 0w40 prior to this recent change. Anyone ever use 5w30? 10w40? 15w40? I am not sure there is a major difference performance wise. I have to search little bit to find the 5w40, so it would be nice to use a more common type available everywhere.

Truth be told, I don;t think the oil choice makes much of a difference, assuming all oils are synthetic. What do you guys think?TADTS

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have used Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic 5w-40 in my Elise for the past year and I use it in my VW Jetta TDI for the last 145,000 miles. I get it at WalMart

- ROTELLA Products

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
When I buy Mobil1 5w-40 I usually get it at Walmart in 4 quart bottles. Advanced Auto occasionally has a sale on the Mobil1 and I pick up 1 quart bottles to go with the 4 quart bottles.

Typically I use the Havoline 5W-40 though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
RP 10w30 here, but it gets nasty hot here for 60% of the year

·
Registered
109 Posts
Castrol Sytech 5-40 for me. Guys these oil talks happen all the time. Let the dog lie. Just use a sythtic 5-40 like the owners manual said. Remember this is a Toyota motor not a Toyota F1 notor. If you worry about oil performance just change it more.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Royal Purple 5w40 for me, hard to find in the stores. Also it meets all the lotus specs for warranty approval.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The dealer put Valvoline Syntec 20w50 when they performed the free 1,000 mile service. I recently changed to Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck and, I don't know if its the placebo effect, but the engine seems to rev easier and smoother. Opinions on motor oil are like a..holes, everyone has one. My take, is that any of the major brand synthetics ranging from 5w40 to 20w50 should work fine.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Elf Excellium DID 5W-40 (now "Total") full-syn here.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I wouldn’t do 20-50, way to thick. The motor won’t rev freely, and you are probably losing a few miles per gallon too. In the higher rpm’s you are really fighting the oil viscosity (as in the oil is slowing you down). 5-40 like the manual says or if you like, and in cooler places 5-30. The Toyoda manual suggests 5-30. Don’t know why Lotus went higher but I can’t imagine 5-30 would hurt any thing. But if you live in a warmer place (Arizona, Florida, exc….) during the summer I would stick with 5-40.

If you track the car that’s a whole different story and you need to pick a good oil for where and when you are going, and change it a lot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
...If you worry about oil performance just change it more.
Oh yeah, I also do change my oil every 2,500-3k on the outside as well. Guess I must be one of those. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a '73 Lotus Europa TC Special that had 44,800 miles on it and had been stored for 5 years before I got it with Castrol syntec 10/30 weight. The reason he put it in was that mineral oils get acidity and synthetic does not. He was advised by a Lotus mechanic to do so. I have been using it since I changed it before starting it up for the first time in 5 years and the car performs beautifully and has not missed a beat. My pressure is at 54 at start up and when running hot on the highway at 65-70 it stays at 49-50 and have not burned any oil.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Oh yeah, I also do change my oil every 2,500-3k on the outside as well. Guess I must be one of those. ;)
I change mine every 5k, or after a trackday. At 5k my oil still looks like honey though...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have also been using the Lucas oil stabilizer that was recommended to me as I just changed the oil after 6 months as I have not been driving the '73 that much, about 3 times a week. It says to add 1 quart of lucas to 3 quarts of oil as I use the Castrol Syntec 10/30 . I plan on doing this every 6 months or if I drive it more often. I put 1,800 miles on it since buying this car in August.

·
Registered
545 Posts
When I can't find snake oil I use....
Rotella 5w-40 syn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts