The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Phantom Black 2007 Exige S
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help/input:

Purchased my 2007 Exige S with 14,600 miles on it.
I purchased a gPan3 and catch cans from Sector111 and I changed the sparkplugs and oil at 16,000 miles with Motul 300V 5w-40.
Since then, I've had 3 track days and about 2000 miles on the car.
In that time, I've added about 3.5 quartz of oil to the engine.

Specifically a lot during track days in the SoCal heat at Buttonwillow and Streets of Willowsprings. (Temps were between 105-115 at all 3 track days).

I've emptied my catch cans and I have maybe 4-5 tablespoons of dark oil that has come out from it.
Picture attached.

I haven't noticed any leaks, but the amount of oil I'm having to add seems worrisome.
Tableware Dishware Drinkware Coffee Cup

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
How much oil total with the gpan at oil and I assume filter change? I know you stated miles driven and three track events but over how much time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I added the gPan and Mobil1 M1-209 filter. I can't remember the exact amount of quarts I put in but I think it was around 6 quarts. It was in the middle of the dipstick gauge when I first changed the oil.
The oil was changed in February 2021.
I've added a total of 2000 miles since that oil change. I'm guessing 400-500 miles on the track. Probably 100-200 miles of canyon running. The rest was just normal driving.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Yeah mine was about the same with original gpan and brought it up to top with over 6.5 and had top top off once with way less miles. It does seem excessive. Is it blowing lots of smoke accelerating? My catch can is about same. I do get a bit of smoke under hard acceleration but I'm assuming some is from running rich at points since the smoke isn't constant throughout the RPM range during acceleration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah mine was about the same with original gpan and brought it up to top with over 6.5 and had top top off once with way less miles. It does seem excessive. Is it blowing lots of smoke accelerating? My catch can is about same. I do get a bit of smoke under hard acceleration but I'm assuming some is from running rich at points since the smoke isn't constant throughout the RPM range during acceleration.

I don't really notice any smoke but truth is that I can't really see anything out of the back of the car because the visibility is so poor. I'll try to setup a go pro or something.
I do notice that the oil level gets low after running it hard for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you’re really losing anywhere close to that much oil, you’re looking at a rebuild unfortunately. You can get by adding oil and staying on top of it, but it will likely get worse over time.

is your motor stock? Stock s/c?

make sure you do your compression and leak down testing with the motor warmed up. Oil should be filled to the max line especially if tracking, FYI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you’re really losing anywhere close to that much oil, you’re looking at a rebuild unfortunately. You can get by adding oil and staying on top of it, but it will likely get worse over time.

is your motor stock? Stock s/c?

make sure you do your compression and leak down testing with the motor warmed up. Oil should be filled to the max line especially if tracking, FYI.
thanks for the input. Motor is stock with the stock s/c.
Noted on the compression, leak down, and dipstick gauge. Thank you

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,900 Posts
Are you driving clockwise on the track? This will throw more oil into the catch cans. But if you’re losing that much oil then that’s quite a bit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
At the LOG 40 track day, I had an interesting issue. After a session on track, I was a quart low. Added a quart, ran another session, was a quart low again. I wasn't leaking oil and wasn't burning it. Turns out, after my engine swap, the oil cooler and the lines to/from it were empty (duh). The oil cooler only functions under track conditions, so my theory is that during the first session, the thermostat opened and sent oil into the cooler. But there was an air bubble, which didn't get out until after the second session. I've decided that all my "missing" oil went into the oil cooler. It just took some time.

For all the details, see my blog:
LOG 40 track day
LOG 40 reflections

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the LOG 40 track day, I had an interesting issue. After a session on track, I was a quart low. Added a quart, ran another session, was a quart low again. I wasn't leaking oil and wasn't burning it. Turns out, after my engine swap, the oil cooler and the lines to/from it were empty (duh). The oil cooler only functions under track conditions, so my theory is that during the first session, the thermostat opened and sent oil into the cooler. But there was an air bubble, which didn't get out until after the second session. I've decided that all my "missing" oil went into the oil cooler. It just took some time.

For all the details, see my blog:
LOG 40 track day
LOG 40 reflections
Sounds very similar to the experience I’m having, the only difference is that I didn’t replace the engine… not sure if the same problem could occur while doing a routine oil change, but I’m hoping this is the case.

Will get the car out to the workshop and run some tests.
Thank you all for the help and input.

·
Registered
Red 2018 Evora 400
51 Posts
My thoughts initially go to Oil viscosity at those temps. I’d think your 5-40 was maybe thinning out and burning off given the ambient temps and harsh driving? Maybe try 5-50 or 10-50?
Also, yes, check plugs and compression/leak down, but at 14k miles I’d hope that’s good.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I go through about at 1/2 quart of oil per day of tracking. It is because when you close the throttle, the system pulls the oil out of the motor and into the intake system. I have catch cans and it still happens, just not as bad. If you look at your intercooler and tubes, you will most likely be surprised at how much oil you will find in them. Before I put the catch cans on, I use to be able to smell the oil from the exhaust. It is the nature of the beast with the high RPM under closed throttle situations.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I go through about at 1/2 quart of oil per day of tracking. It is because when you close the throttle, the system pulls the oil out of the motor and into the intake system. I have catch cans and it still happens, just not as bad. If you look at your intercooler and tubes, you will most likely be surprised at how much oil you will find in them. Before I put the catch cans on, I use to be able to smell the oil from the exhaust. It is the nature of the beast with the high RPM under closed throttle situations.

Later,
Eldon
How much are you getting out of the catch cans after a typical day? He said he has catch cans, too. 3.5 qts on a stock motor with basically empty catch cans sounds like a problem to me, unless he underfilled it significantly when he replaced the pan.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
@acslater I will be able to drain a few ounces out of the catch cans. I still get oil in the intercooler and intake manifold. So, the catch cans help but they are not the solution. I might have misread the OP's comment. I thought he said that he added 3.5 quarts over several track days.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
@acslater I will be able to drain a few ounces out of the catch cans. I still get oil in the intercooler and intake manifold. So, the catch cans help but they are not the solution. I might have misread the OP's comment. I thought he said that he added 3.5 quarts over several track days.

Later,
Eldon
I think you read it correctly - 3.5 quarts over 3 track days, or more than 2x what you experience. I never had that kind of consumption tracking until I had a built motor with race tolerances. All of my built motors ultimately failed, so I could also be paranoid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts