The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of your with 4000+ miles on your Elise, are you noticing an increasing level of oil consumption? Per the manual, they suggest oil levels be checked every two to three gas fillups (something I had not been doing). When I did, the dipstick showed a loss of approximately 0.8 quart (halfway between the two dimples).

I checked because I noticed oil streaks on the diffuser. After further investigation, it is clear there is a leak of some kind. Oil is revealing itself from the center cutout (triangle) of the underbody tray (the other two are clean). There is no oil on the garage floor and the exhaust tips are dry. The car is not smoking and the engine bay and (visible) portion of the engine are clean. I have 5200 miles on my car. Looks like a dealer trip earlier than planned is in order (350 miles away).

I am trying to determine whether the consumption of some / most of the oil is normal, I recognize any leak is not. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I have not noticed any excessive oil consumption. Less than 1/2 quart in 5000 miles. No leaks.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
After no noticeable oil consumption up until my 1,000mi download, I have now gone through 2-1/2qts of Valvoline pure synthetic and am just getting up to the 2,000 mile mark.
:eek:
I am hoping that things settle down soon(rings seat themselves).
No visible leaks or smoking, etc.
I have been doing some pretty extreme driving(high rpm)since the 1,000K insp and was hoping that this would help things to seat.:cool:

Car is performing great! Much more than I ever expected.
:clap:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i think the most likely culprit would e the oil filter installation at last change. i have not even tried to peer down there to see if it is visible from above but you might take a look

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
if I recall correctly, that is the area where the oil filter resides (just above the center duct in the diffuser). drop the diffuser and take a look for an oil filter leak.

perry, i hope your consumtion decreases. 2 1/2 quarts sounds a little excessive for a japanese engine. Unless this is normal for the 2zz (anyone? anyone?), I have only my other J-cars to compare it to and I've never lost more than 1/2 quart between oil changes before (less than 1/4 quart in my mr2T being the norm).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the input. It was the oil filter. Seepage from the top of the threads. Although the filter is tight, real tight, like cemented tight. I still do not have it off.

For the record, Simple Green (undiluted) cleans oil from aluminium parts very effectively.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
KLM said:
For the record, Simple Green (undiluted) cleans oil from aluminum parts very effectively.
It also tends to corrode the aluminum fairly quickly - especially undiluted - Simple Green is not recommended for use on aluminum. I will keep the stuff far away from my Elise.

From the Simple Green Website: Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TimMullen said:
It also tends to corrode the aluminum fairly quickly - especially undiluted - Simple Green is not recommended for use on aluminum. I will keep the stuff far away from my Elise.

Hosing down now...THANK YOU Tim!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I would be willing to bet that I now have the only diffuser and tray that has been frantically shampoo-ed in the house, in the shower!

Thanks again Tim for (hopefully) minimizing my rookie mistake.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Comment on Perry's post:
I suspect the rings in your motor are long since seated. 90+% of the seating/sealing occurs before the car leaves the factory because every car is put through a driving/check out program under load on a chassis dyno before it is "signed off". The rest of the seating is probably completed within your first 500 miles of drivng. The message is: your oil comsumption is not normal!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I have done 2,200 miles and my oil is level with top hole in the dip stick.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The culprit might be the Sandwich plate that sits between the engine block and the oil filter. They have a tendency to loosen and leak slowly when changing the oil filter.

I don't have my car yet. But this is base on my assumption that the twin Oil coolers are feed via a sandwich plate.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Hmm, would over-tightening of the filter possibly cause this leakage? I always change my own oil to avoid this overtightening possibility. Shops usually over tighten to avoid any chance of leakage and having the customer come back complaining. Bu maybe cranking the filter on too tight causes the gasket to not seat properly? just thinking....

Ok, so now we've all concluded that Perry's rate of oil consumption is beyond normal. Perry, let us know what the dealer has to say about it as I'm assuming you'll bring this up with them.

For he who asked about the oil in the sump. From the factory, I am assuming they have a mix of dino and synthetic for the break-in period. The owner's manual states: "For topping up purposes during the running-in period prior to the First After Sales Service, a top quality mineral or semi-synthetic 5W/40 oil should be used."

They then recommend a full synthetic 5W/40 after the 1K service. Havoline, Mobil 1 and Amsoil have been identified as providing this unique weight of oil. I'm sure there are others (Redline???) but I haven't looked into it yet since I'm only at 250 miles. When the time comes I'll probably get Amsoil since I know someone who distributes the stuff....

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
perryeyges said:
After no noticeable oil consumption up until my 1,000mi download, I have now gone through 2-1/2qts of Valvoline pure synthetic and am just getting up to the 2,000 mile mark.
:eek:
I am hoping that things settle down soon(rings seat themselves).
No visible leaks or smoking, etc.
I have been doing some pretty extreme driving(high rpm)since the 1,000K insp and was hoping that this would help things to seat.:cool:

Car is performing great! Much more than I ever expected.
:clap:
Do you think this could be the front oil cooler leak? 2 1/2 qts seems a lot, have you seen any leaks? You may want to look at the front oil coolers and see if they are leaking into the front of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts