The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was traveling North on I95 between Washington and Baltimore yesterday when at about 75MPH noticed a change in engine note. Let off throttle, noise went away, back on throttle, definitely something not right. As I worked my way over to the right lane, the oil pressure light came on. Clutch-in, and started coasting. Light flickered a few times, then solid on. Once it was on full, I turned off engine and coasted off the Rt175 ramp all the way to a gas station at the end of the ramp. The time the engine was on and first noticed issue until I shut down was approx 1 minute (probably less).

As I got out of the car, I was greeted to the whole left side of the car covered in oil, with more flowing from the oil cooler location.

Took four hours to get a tow truck that would tow it to Criswell, most wanted nothing to do with towing the Lotus. One guy came by and said he would never trust the tow ring to pull it onto flat bed.

Waiting to hear back from Criswell today...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
not good. sorry to hear. best of luck...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow, that's unfortunate, to say the least. I hope it's nothing major and you're back on the road soon. Keep us informed as to the cause/fix!

·
Registered
815 Posts
OMG! How many miles do you have? Maybe something just came apart? I really want to know what Criswell says.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car crossed 20K the day before. I have had no issues with the car until this incident. It has run like a champ. No tell-tale oil leaks before hand, the hose/cooler just let go with no warning.

Obviously I am worried the engine was harmed, but will still appear fine after they fix the cooler/hose and refill. Not looking forward to a prolonged warranty fight.

Given the number of Elise's that have had similiar incidents, it is worrisome. I usually just worry about my tie-rods falling off while driving, I did not think I had to also worry about the oil cooler exploding!

Yesterday was the first real warm day here also, so a bad time to not have the car running. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
This does not sound good to me. First thing I would have them check are the rod bearings. Those are the first to go when you lose oil pressure.

Been there and done that on other Lotus cars. Not the Elise..but an Elan.

I doubt you toasted the engine, but you may have run the bearings down to the copper....

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
GJS, i wish you "good luck" (inclusive of all its possible meanings) with your service adventure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ill put money on the oil cooler hose pulled out of its crimp. new engine needed is a 50-50 chance. time to pull the pan and see whats in there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just heard from Criswell. As Jordan guessed, hose pulled out of crimp. Had it shipped back to Lotus, supposedly this has been happening more often and it sounds like they are starting to get concerned about it.

Criswell says engine is fine, started up and no noises. Wow, what a detailed analysis. I will go get it tomorrow and see if I agree. If running well, I will perform routine oil analysis on it.

Interestingly, Lotus warranty wants me to provide detailed records of my oil changes... I would assume so that they can try and build a case against me in case the engine takes a crap. Luckly I have changed oil and filters every 3K miles.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
...Criswell says engine is fine, started up and no noises. Wow, what a detailed analysis...
sounds about right. :rolleyes:
...Interestingly, Lotus warranty wants me to provide detailed records of my oil changes... I would assume so that they can try and build a case against me in case the engine takes a crap. Luckly I have changed oil and filters every 3K miles.
may i suggest that you get this request from LCUSA in writing. cover everyone's arse that way.

like i said earlier "good luck" :up:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tow truck driver let me drive it up the flat bed instead of using the tow ring. It worked great and I had no trouble getting out or worries this way.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Are there any preventative steps to be taken to make sure the oil line doesn't pop off?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
New Engine

The same thing happened to me at 13K however I developed a slight ticking and Lotus replaced the engine. I have 7k on the new one. So far so good!
Make sure you listen to the engine carefully any change in "sound" take it in and have it documented.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Is there a way to check the crimps on the oil coolers to make sure the lines are tight enough? It sounds like this may be something that preventable with a check now and then. Hope your car turns out OK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts