The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first picked up my car in Nov, I was worried about the oil line recall as the PO said he knew nothing about the recall. So I called Newport Beach Lotus (Or Bentley) and the lady I talked to ran my VIN and said my car wasn't part of the recall. I thought it was all 2005/2006's with oil coolers? My car is a 2006 Exige.

So fast forward, I turn in my car to get the front clam painted (the clam had been replaced and the paint match was bad) and I called today to ask how it was going. He said the front clam was off so I went down there to see how my oil coolers and lines looked. I found a bit of oil residue and the dirt that it had attracted but it was not wet and not leaking. Just a bit dirty. They also seemed tight.

So my question is should I still be worried about these oil cooler lines? Here's a few pics I took of the two oil coolers. The line that runs between the two coolers was clean. (Ignore all the HID wires and mess)

Thanks
Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,674 Posts
That is what mine looked like. Your in the recall. It almost looks like a pinhole or something with the buildup. I brakleened it a couple times spotless, but it came back, never more really, but not like it quit. I was just uncomfortable with all the evidence. I had the recall performed on mine. I got two new oil coolers in the deal ( issues removing) with discount labor with Prorad radiator and fans once it was opened up.

They do take the clam off. They seem to have lots of problems with oil cooler threads galling. Good luck man. Yeah, do something. Doing something seems to go a long way keeping these things on the road ! Then again doing nothing sometimes works just as well in the shortrun ! heh. peacb

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thats weird, I have a 2006 Exige and also took it to Newport for service, everything went great.

There was also another 2006 silver exige getting his oil cooler lines replaced too while i was picking mine up.

·
He's on fire!
3,454 Posts
theres no way to tell if they are going to pop by looking at them. You are part of the recall, have them replaced.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Actually, you have the new stile oil lines and therefore not part of the recall. The recall is for Oetiker clamp oil lines only. My Exige had the factory installed Accusump and the splice in the original (new stile) oil line was the one that was leaking and covered. If you don't have the factory installed Accusump (with Oetiker clamps), you don't have a problem. The oil line recall is only for the Oetiker clamps.

·
He's on fire!
3,454 Posts
Actually, you have the new stile oil lines and therefore not part of the recall. The recall is for Oetiker clamp oil lines only. My Exige had the factory installed Accusump and the splice in the original (new stile) oil line was the one that was leaking and covered. If you don't have the factory installed Accusump (with Oetiker clamps), you don't have a problem. The oil line recall is only for the Oetiker clamps.
this is really bad and WRONG advice, at least for any USA car. The recall replaces the fittings pictured with new ones AND OETIKER CLAMPS.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I was in Saudi Arabia and wrote to Lotus because the dealer there knew noting about any recalls...they (Lotus) said the recall was in the US only and will not honor it for me. Then I told them that I was an American and will be importing the car to the US. They added my car to the recall list as a good will gesture. I had a copy of the actual recall letter and it said essentially what I had written...that is why I repeated it. I guess what we can deduce from your reply, is that Lotus changed the size of the barbs on the inner portion of the oil line at the same time they went to swedged collars instead of the Oetiker clamps. But the recall is for leaks from the hose/end interface and not the end connection. The photo above clearly shows the oil sweat from the connector and not from the hose.

·
Registered
405 Posts
this is really bad and WRONG advice, at least for any USA car. The recall replaces the fittings pictured with new ones AND OETIKER CLAMPS.
+1. It was a US recall (two recalls, actually) forced by a US Federal Agency, not a worldwide recall. OP, call Lotus USA (770-476-6564) and get the definitive answer. My 2008 Exige, built in 2007, squeaked into the second recall based on its build date.

There may be an issue regarding (non)response to the recall notice relative to the OP's car. However, that appears not to be the OP's fault and I would expect Lotus USA to take care of the car.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It is the early swedged connections that are failing. They don't have Oetiker clamps on them. The recall is done using Oetiker clamps on new barbed fittings for the lines that run from the sandwich plate to the oil coolers. A new line with supposedly properly done swedged fittings is used to replace the old line that runs from cooler to cooler.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
+1. It was a US recall (two recalls, actually) forced by a US Federal Agency, not a worldwide recall. OP, call Lotus USA (770-476-6564) and get the definitive answer. My 2008 Exige, built in 2007, squeaked into the second recall based on its build date.

There may be an issue regarding (non)response to the recall notice relative to the OP's car. However, that appears not to be the OP's fault and I would expect Lotus USA to take care of the car.
Good advice...include photos...that's what I did.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I will def try to get the recall done again. I had a similar incident happen to my Z last year. The were digging up the street and there was a high spot that just happened to knock my oil filter off. I barely felt it and when I was getting on the freeway, i noticed that i had Zero oil pressure. Good thing I didn't boost up and pass this semi truck. The motor survived but my turbos did not.

Man, I just hate loosing my car and have someone else touching it.. I will miss out on the C&C meet this weekend cause the painter didn't want to start on my car till this monday..

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
well you could always fix the lines yourself while you have the clam off. There is a DIY post on here somewhere, where a guy cut his lines and changed out the fittings and reconnected them.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
This how I did mine... and quit screwing around with those cheap $h!t rubber lines. Replaced the twin oil radiators with a Laminova heat exchanger and installed stainless steel braided AN-10 lines with AN-10 fittings. No more leaks...no more BAT fittings!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts