The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my oil cooler lines due to a leak and when I pulled them out the pipe protection came out. I did not notice where that pipe protection sits in the chassis before I removed the hoses. Can anyone tell me where it sits? I would guess it sits where the hoses run through the chassis at the front to stop chaffing.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
On my car there were small split rubber pieces which were set upon the metal edges of the passages in the chassis where the tubes emerge. As far as I could determine they were just held in place by mechanical contact. If yours are missing or gone you can replicate them by splitting some small but solid rubber or silicone hose and using those in the same way. Or alternately, and an idea I like better, is to split a larger diameter rubber hose and use it as a semi-wrap at the hose/chassis intersection.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There is a bunch of stuff going on in the center tunnel to keep things from chafing. There should be rubber panel grommets at each hole for the hard tubes front and rear. The small split hoses go around the tubes for the heater and the chargecooler (if equipped) to keep them from rubbing through and rattling on the bottom of the tunnel. There should be a bit of trim around the inside diameter of the opening for the oil cooler hoses at the front of the chassis. The rear opening is rounded to protect the hoses. There is also a bulkhead inside the tunnel forward of the gearshift. There should be some sheet rubber cable tied to the oil cooler hoses to protect them as they pass through this bulkhead. I cable tie the oil hoses to the radiator coolant tubes to keep the oil hoses from getting fouled by the shifter. It helps to have 3 elbows to install all of this stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts