The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some here may know I am starting/trying to do what several here did in the past, race a N/A Elise in SCCA Solo "Street" (stock) class.

At 15 years on from new, it is VERY hard to find non-modified Lotus Elises!! I originally found a Nightfall LSS car with touring pack and with 56K miles that had changed radiator, seats and exhaust..and brake rotors.. close to me. Bought and started accumulating parts to change back to stock.. (basically, you are only allowed minor changes to a few things, anything that could be considered a performance advantage past the few allowances is not allowed.)

A few months back I found my "prefered" car, a CO Elise with touring and with 12K miles... BONE STOCK. The price was right, and only 5 miles from the first. Yes, I bought it...o_O:sneaky: which brings me to my question.

In Street class, you can run an "option pack" as such, as long as you do ALL of the parts included in that option. Comfort and convenience clause allows you to "leave" non performance items in place if desired...or in my case, sometimes too lazy..lol (I.E. say an option pack included lighter seats, but you have a heavier, plusher, powered seat, you are not required to go to the lighter seat. UNLESS , say the lighter seat was a bench seat and you have a top of the line Recaro that weighed more, that would not be allowed as it could be considered a performance advantage)

SO, with the above TL;DR , I'm asking if anyone KNOWS, has pics of, can verify 100% That an N/A Elise LSS w/Touring Pack (made past the Late Feb 05 oil cooler TSB about standard cars no longer carrying the RF oil cooler), CAME with only ONE cooler.!! <=====THIS PART

I was about to pull my clam to install a RF cooler when someone intimate to this site in the past said "Hold on" he thought his only had one, but wasn't sure. (Long since gone) The way I read the TSB, ALL LSS cars came with two, and since a performance advantage is outlined in the beginning of the TSB, I do not see that I could "remove it".. (In my case I'm making an LSS car..)

Help? Answers? I have managed a 2nd and 3rd at past SCCA Solo Nationals, so I hope to well enough to worry about such things!! :cool:

(I guess after just looking at the included TSB again, a subquestion would be on an 05 is a "Sport Pack option" and LSS the same thing?)

2nd Oil line/recall question in nest post.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, the 2nd question is, I believe the oil line recall is still in effect, HOWEVER as San has pointed out in a thread I read, there is a 15 year expiration on this. My Nightfall car was made Dec. 04, the CO Elise was April 05. Since there is no Lotus dealer local in San Diego, I will likely have the clam off to install the oil cooler and I am reasonably sure the CO car never had the recall check as I do not see a 2nd clamp, should I do my own "recall/repair"? Find, or figure out how to install an Oetiker(sp?) clamp.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Get a provenance from the factory if you want to know stock, include your question about oil cooler(s) & lines. I guess it is still possible to get one from Hethel

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,090 Posts
So, the 2nd question is, I believe the oil line recall is still in effect, HOWEVER as San has pointed out in a thread I read, there is a 15 year expiration on this. My Nightfall car was made Dec. 04, the CO Elise was April 05. Since there is no Lotus dealer local in San Diego, I will likely have the clam off to install the oil cooler and I am reasonably sure the CO car never had the recall check as I do not see a 2nd clamp, should I do my own "recall/repair"? Find, or figure out how to install an Oetiker(sp?) clamp.

Thoughts?
I read a lot here, or else I'd never have seen my name mentioned. Sorry the expiration date is a factor. Spelling (Oetiker) is right. Wish I could be more helpful.

San

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Parts manual says single from vin 32444

BUT the TSB says LSS cars have two.

Unless you could get a letter from Lotus saying, yeah, we didn't pay that much attention, I don't know were I the scrutineer, if I would bend from that.
I doubt the provenance letter will say what number of oil coolers are actually installed,.

But I'm not the scrutineer, maybe you have to ask the actual scrutineer, it is quite likely this has come up in the last 15 years.

sucks they really make you run a stock radiator, kinda asking for coolant on the track......suppose an aftermarket oil thermostat is wildly out of the question, that would solve the problem of oil temps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm curious does your oil temp justify adding the weight of second oil cooler being that you're non SC? With low oil temps being a suspected cause of intake cam scoring having two coolers at all but hot events might not be needed. PO of my car added second cooler but car has REV300 but he also covered the coolers for street use and tracking in cooler weather. Just a thought.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious does your oil temp justify adding the weight of second oil cooler being that you're non SC? With low oil temps being a suspected cause of intake cam scoring having two coolers at all but hot events might not be needed. PO of my car added second cooler but car has REV300 but he also covered the coolers for street use and tracking in cooler weather. Just a thought.
It's not so much a "choice" as what I need to run legally. I am not afraid of overheating as rarely is a lap over 75 secs long and then park and wait for your next one. Conversely, I have decided on cool days I could/did put blue tape over the inlets to keep my temp up. I have noticed as long as I start the car and let run/idle before the first lap I am good. Also, so far with 3 events using an Elise, I have noticed it has been rare where I am on the cam. Often because an "element" is right where I would be on cam in first as SCCA solo requires no drag race starts (except Pro Solo). I tend to touch cam more in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should reemphasize that I would LOVE to have the weight savings/potential cam life extension, but I am being optimistic regarding my eventual performance. In our form of racing/Autocross there are only safety "scrutineers" as such. Legality is up to your competitor. In other words, particularly on a National level, if you are fast, the people losing to you will look very close to see if your car is legal. At National events, post running, all competitors must park in an "impound" as such with hood/trunk/bonnet/ etc. open. All competitors can look over your car, under hood, underneath, etc., are not supposed to touch and see if they think there is something illegal on your car to protest.

I have ran in classes and been involved in a "co-protest", seen competitors kicked out for being illegal. I have been on the protest committee at Nationals for several years in the past. Generally if there is some contingency involved, you are more likely to see paper involved.

NOW, the big tie-in/revelation on all of this....MOST of the competitors that were tossed for illegality came back and were JUST as fast as before. You can assume maybe they had other illegal stuff not found, but I suspect they found that the illegal stuff doesn't overcome the mental anguish handicap you have to carry while going fast and being illegal.

I know.

One year, I was co-driving a car with the owner, doing very well in Pro-Solo, getting contingency money (all that does is reduce your overall costs..lol) and entered a 3-way tie going to Nationals.(Both of the other two had been kicked at other events in the past..maybe one of them a different year) I was the only 2-driver car in the tie at Nationals and required to run a different group when leading.. cold track..etc. blah, blah, I took 3rd in year end points..... BUT during all that, the previous owner that had ran the car and done well in it in the past, walked by us in the paddock and casually mentioned "Oh, are you still running those shortened bump stops (illegal) up front?" I had no clue and the current owner realized what the little donut things were in the spares. It freaked me out, we had no time to change/reinstall before the last runs and in the impound area all I could see was the "glowing red siren" in area of the illegality... how could anyone miss it?
We put them back in that night, the actual Main Nationals Autocross was a couple days later and I DIDN'T SLOW DOWN. IIRC I finished 6th out of a class of 38 strong? A very good showing.

The TL;DR part is that running an illegal car for fast people may make them slower. :geek:

Sorry that was so long winded, I would love to not run the RF cooler, but have pretty much resigned myself to it, the clam is basically ready to pull and I have the parts. The thing is now if I can prove the late LSS w/Touring had only one, would I pull clam to remove it? :unsure:

Thanks for replies so far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I understand your conundrum now as previous posts seem to point to the LSS option as having two coolers. Damn almost sounds like dealing with a HOA lol. Glad I'm just in for HPDE experience and not competition with all the PO mods.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Parts manual says single from vin 32444

BUT the TSB says LSS cars have two.
My car is an '05 with a VIN later than 32444. I'm certain that it has not been much molested (at least not where the cooling system is concerned). It has LSS and twin coolers, which lends creedence to the TSB's statement.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Pip! Info like that is what I suspect. Does yours have touring pack too?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
05, non sport pack w/ "touring package" here with VIN 32383, has two coolers. All early build Fed 05's had two coolers. If memory serves me right, the base Elise got switched out to a single cooler in 2005 but don't know exact build dates when that switch happened. The sport pack models however continued using two.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am 99% positive that all 2005 LSS cars came with two oil coolers, with or without the touring package. My 2005 LLS w/Touring has two coolers. VIN is 34796.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am 99% positive that all 2005 LSS cars came with two oil coolers, with or without the touring package. My 2005 LLS w/Touring has two coolers. VIN is 34796.
Exactly the response I needed.. LSS w/Touring post TSB has 2 coolers.. Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the oil line recall is still in effect.

Thoughts?
You are overthinking this.

From appendix F of the SCCA solo rules

"Recalls designated by the factory as being installed only in response to
complaints are considered optional and allow for both specifications
(pre- and post-recall) to be valid"

1. It's not a mandatory recall.

2. The second paragraph of the recall goves you the freedom to run any USA Elise in either configuration (one oil cooler or two) with no other changes, independent of its option package.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm. That gives me pause for thought actually. I need to look further. But as a veteran of several protest committees, you are looking at it as an owner, I (by habit) am looking at it as a "losing" competitor would. As all LSS cars left the factory with them... where does it say you can remove them?
Like with AC, you can remove the belt... but if you remove the AC you have to remove (not use) ALL parts that came with that AC. I.E. if the AC cars came with stiffer springs, you have to run the standard springs if you remove the AC... see where I am going.
And one main things we went by on the committee with protests when it was gray area was "Is it a performance advantage"..

First line of TSB states the benefits of weight savings....

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
LSS was essentially wheels and shocks/springs, and in this case a spare oil cooler.

Were the individual items available as line items, IOW would someone be able to walk up with a window sticker that says just optional wheels? And would that car be legal?

Hell Euro cars didn't have oil coolers at all.....

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I still would want to known if an aftermarket thermostat is legal. I would not think it a performance enhancement, but an engine saving device. I mean, if I ran an old MGB and put a rev limiting rotor from Lotus in it, is that illegal because it didn't come in the car?
I would want a 'real' thermostat with one or two coolers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts