The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
"Street" class has very specific allowances.. as you modify your car, you move up the classing scale. It has always been a complaint of people new to SCCA that modified first, then show up. a few "minor" mods to them classed them in the very fast classes.
SCCA just started an XS-A and XS-B class to hopefully just lump the people that want to play with mods on 200TW tires all together.

Oh yes, in "Street" class, it has to be FACTORY options, not dealer installed options.. no matter how common.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@Spartarus , I will say thank you as it has been years since I looked in the clarifications section, LOTS added there! I did find out I don't have to have the battery cover in place! Yay! Saves headache and ounces!! lol I think I will write to the SEB for a clarification.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A story and then a point and then an approach.

1. Years ago M. Chiles ran at Solo2 Championships in [if I remember the class correctly] D Stock. The competitor who finished just ahead of him is protested by Chiles saying the competitors wheels weren't stock. Stewards found in favor of Chiles and then Chiles moves up one place. Much later the competitor appeals the decision and produces obtained paperwork that shows the car with those exact wheels is how the car left the showroom floor when brand new. Appeals people reverse the Stewards and we now have competitor back in front of Chiles. WAY later Chiles get paperwork directly from the Japanese factory on the competitor's car and files an appeal of the appeal - the factory paperwork shows the car had other wheels on it when it left the factory and the wheels in question were a Dealer option installed essentially 'on the showroom floor before it left the dealer'...….the appeal of the appeal is ruled in favor of Chiles......because the car wasn't "factory stock" …...and [get this]…….finally Chiles is moved back ahead of the competitor so Chiles now finishes 5th. FIFTH !! True story. You can find it in FasTrack archives.

2. Point - your final buttress of your car's prep status just might depend on factory provenance paperwork. Write 'em, ask 'em.

3. An approach...….I knew a fellow who had been ARCA Champion years ago...…..every third time he opened his mouth he'd say to me, "Ya gotta cheat legal!" Yup...….ya gotta cheat legal. If at the end of the day the car is on the trailer and you're leaving the event and no one has protested you......you were legal. It's sort of like being the absolute final supps…...there's the GCR rules, then there can be the Divisional rules, then there's the rules contained in the supps to the event, then there can even be the rules announced by the Chief Steward at the Driver's meeting......and then there's the rules at impound...….or the lack of rule acknowledgement at impound...….and then you're back home.
Example: people in stock class takes washers off one side of a mount and move 'em to the other side of the mount......the car still has all factory parts but the camber is one zillionth different and the car is legal. You cheated legal...….others call it prepping the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I agree completely with all the above @EYERACE . I may have been racing against said Japanese car at the time? I'm Bill Sanford and co-drove a D-Stock Honda at the time.. Was the protested car a Z car from Utah? If so, it also had a differential issue at one point. I believe the reference in the Street Solo rules to standard parts installed by dealers "no matter how common" is a reference to the wheels you talked about.

And you bet, I try to do #3! Look for the allowable advantage others may miss... if enough are done, it can add up!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts