The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much work is it? mine is getting done now and they said this is the first one they've done, although they've seen 4 so far. (only on supercharged cars)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. Hopefully I'll have it back by tomorrow I guess.
It sucks that we don't get a courtesy car when we bring it in for service. I get a free rental for warranty work in my lowly Mustang Cobra. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
thanks. Hopefully I'll have it back by tomorrow I guess.
It sucks that we don't get a courtesy car when we bring it in for service. I get a free rental for warranty work in my lowly Mustang Cobra. :shrug:
At least you are getting a free O-ring. :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Seems so. My car has had a small drip on the bottom of the bell since I purchased her in March, used with 900 miles. When I first got her I smelled oil, so I pulled the panels. Cleaned off the drip and kept an eye on it up until my recent oil change yesterday. Seems to be seeping from the tube/neck of the dipstick recepticle. Since this seems to be common flaw, and a simple-enough fix (as suggested by others, it is a 45 min repair), I was hoping there might be a writeup somewhere.

If not, perhaps I can get FVMC to fax over the walkthrough from the service manual or something, since that is where I bought the car (via Internet).

Cheers

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm hoping to write one soon. Waiting on the parts now, and I have a service manual coming too. Then I just need to find the time to do the repair.

M

·
0 Posts
if i remember correctly.

remove the bolt on the oil dipstick
pull out the dipstick. remove alternator if necessary.
replace the o-ring
reverse.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's it? Wow..been trying to find that for months. Couldn't even get a dealer to give me a 30 sec rundown like that. Knew it wouldn't be tough, but glad it's not gonna be much at all (unless the alternator has to come out for this...bleh).

M

·
0 Posts
its fairly easy to do.

especially i had the alternator and the intake manifold out of the way! ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
There is a little more to it than that. You need to take the undertray off, and when the bolt is out of the dipstick holder (done from above) pull the dipstick holder up out of its hole in the block. Go underneath and get the old O ring out of the hole (make sure you have taken the dipstick out) or off of the dipstick holder. You do not need to remove the alternator. Put the new one on, slip the holder back in the hole, bolt in in. :sad: Pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
after installing quite a few superchargers on elises/exiges it's simple but I do have everything else (manifold/alternator out too).. its a oring, any auto parts store has it.. I'm wondering why you bought it from lotus.. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Is this a messy job requiring new oil?

·
Registered
184 Posts
after installing quite a few superchargers on elises/exiges it's simple but I do have everything else (manifold/alternator out too).. its a oring, any auto parts store has it.. I'm wondering why you bought it from lotus.. :)
Anyone know the size or should I just walk in with the dipstick holder?

Thanks,
Todd

1 - 20 of 35 Posts