The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Toyota dealer and purchased 5 of part # 90430-12028 to replace the oil drain plug gasket when doing oil changes. They were 69 cents each. Yesterday I was changing my oil and when I pulled off the drain plug I realized the gasket was not the same size as the one on the plug that I was about to replace. The gasket on the plug was in good shape so I reused it. Can anyone confirm that the gaskets I purchased are the correct ones? I wonder if they gave me the wrong part. See pics below. Thanks~

Note: the gasket on the plug was the one that was on the plug when I drained the oil. The gasket to the right is the part that the Toyota dealer gave me. I never removed the gasket from the plug because I didn’t want to destroy it if I was going to reuse it. I did however place the Toyota part over the plug and realized it was not the same size. The gasket was larger than the one on the drain plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
That is the part number that I use. In fact I just put one on 10 min ago.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Looks like it should work fine though, no?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it should work fine though, no?
The thing that concerned me is that with the new gasket there was a little space/gap around the inside of the plug when I put the new gasket on and pushed it flush with the gasket that was already in the plug. Is this gap/space common?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That should not matter.

·
Registered
564 Posts
there is another toyota part #90430-12031

·
Registered
186 Posts
about 2 bucks for the genuine article

Paid about two bucks for one at a Lotus dealer this week. Ironically, they are the closest dealer of any make, or auto parts place to my house. I did check Pep Boys when I bought the oil, but they didn't have one, even for a Celica.

Lotus part number on the bag is A120E64615

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Paid about two bucks for one at a Lotus dealer this week. Ironically, they are the closest dealer of any make, or auto parts place to my house. I did check Pep Boys when I bought the oil, but they didn't have one, even for a Celica.

Lotus part number on the bag is A120E64615
That "genuine article" is a Toyota part that gets a "Lotus tax" added to it. Just like the "genuine article" oil filters... but at least they are wrapped with a Lotus decal ;).

But sounds like it perhaps is your best bet if they are closest to you. You'd probably spend more $ driving to another place to pick one up.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When I got my drain plug gaskets at my local Toyota dealer, I specifically asked for the 2005 Celica GTS, and had them double check they weren't giving me the GT ones. I bought ten of them (didn't want to waste time going back for a cheap part). I don't know the part number, but it looked the same as the one that the Lotus dealer put on after the last service I had there. I bought a few transmission drain plug gaskets while I was there.

But, I have now purchased one of the Fumoto valves to replace the oil drain plug, so I will have a bunch of left over drain plug gaskets.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
why change it?
it's a rubber seal and will re-seal dozens of times.
keep one handy if the original gets lost or disappears when you lose it into the dirty oil, but no need to change it.
remember, it's just a common toyota engine, that's why i bought my elise!
sam

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
why change it?
it's a rubber seal and will re-seal dozens of times.
keep one handy if the original gets lost or disappears when you lose it into the dirty oil, but no need to change it.
remember, it's just a common toyota engine, that's why i bought my elise!
sam
It is not a rubber seal (at least, not the proper one). It is an aluminum crush washer - single use only.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The Toyota dealer just gave me half a dozen for free!:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is not a rubber seal (at least, not the proper one). It is an aluminum crush washer - single use only.
The ones I got from the Toyota dealer are not aluminum or rubber. They appear to be a hard plastic. :shrug:

·
Registered
773 Posts
The ones I got from the Toyota dealer are not aluminum or rubber. They appear to be a hard plastic. :shrug:
And... The original equip one that was on the drainplug (which I agree, looked just fine for re-use) as I saw it there this weekend too, appeared to me, to be a hard rubber. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Any auto parts store will have copper or aluminum crush gasket washers in various sizes.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i believe they are soft alum coated with hard fiber gasket.

i have used the same one 3x with no problems - but i got a few, and replace it around that 3rd time...

slight size difference looks like a non-issues

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hard rubber, plastic, call it what you wish, the 2zz-ge engine that came virgin had a rubbery-plastic washer, not a metal/metallic washer.
the argument of whatever the sealing device is, is anile.
as long as the oil doesn't leak out, you could use an old piece of cardboard.
the function is the thing.
the common washer supplied by toyota ( who made the powertrain) ought to be good enough to provide the function.
as long as the thing doesn't leak.....
this isn't my only 2zz-ge engined car.
sam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts