The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was at the Lotus dealership today and randomly got on the subject of oil filters. The dealership tech swears that having a Toyota filter will blow the engine and recommended I always use Lotus filters. I looked at the Lotus filter and what's interesting is that the PN is 90915-YZZJ2-LC and not 90915-YZZF1, which was reported to have superseded 90915-10004. Anyone know what the difference between the filters are?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was pretty obvious the tech was spewing BS. He swore that the Toyota branded filters lacked a bypass valve when they obviously had one. He claimed that the Toyota 2ZZs located their bypass valves on the sandwich plate while the Lotus 2ZZs had a bypass valve on the Lotus filter, and that claim was BS too.

My specific inquiry is towards the 90915-YZZJ2 filter. Your links do you contain information on the 90915-YZZJ2 or any Toyota branded filter. It's just been knowledge on this forum that the sought after Toyota branded filter is 90915-10004 and the alternative is the 90915-YZZF1, which superseded 90915-10004. There's only one thread on this forum about 90915-YZZJ2, but very little actual information. However, if Lotus is using 90915-YZZJ2 as their stock replacement filter, the people that want to stick with a Toyota branded filter may find it interesting to know that 90915-YZZJ2 is a possible alternative and what are the differences between it, 90915-10004, and 90915-YZZF1.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My understanding is the J2 filter is the shorter style filter while the F1 is a taller variation. The 10004 on the other hand, is the Japan only crystal matrix filter made by Denso. I can confirm this as I have a few left in a box of 10 I special ordered. They supposedly filter better with less restriction. Not sure about those claims, but it's the original filter fitted to the car.

I purchased mine from Lithia Toyota Parts. Just add an "A" when searching for the number in their database ( 90915-10004A). Pretty reasonable when bought in bulk.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The Lotus sandwich plate does NOT have a pressure relief valve in it...that thing is a thermostat! And Lotus buys that sandwich plate from MoCal.

Also, the pressure relief valve within an oil filter is there for the stupid @$$ hole that refuses to change his oil/filter...when that oil filter gets plugged, that relief valve allows the oil to bypass the filter and go directly into the engine. The reasoning is that dirty oil is still better for the engine than no oil...

Racing or high performance oil filters do NOT have that bypass valve in them... the reasoning is that 1. they leak and allow dirty oil into the engine and 2. race engines usually have higher oil pressures that open that valve anyway - allowing dirty oil into the engine and 3. race engines are maintained so the oil filter is changed out more frequently anyway.

BTW, I seriously doubt that Toyota builds that oil filter...I bet you they buy it from some other manufacturer...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oil filers are a very important part of the engine, if the filter pass's particles larger the the oil film then the type of oil will not help. Every particle that pass's through your engine will
Create more particles and will slowly destroy your engine. You must run a high micron filter
That flows enough oil and run a quality oil. A clean engine is of the up most importance, read some on engine oil films on cylinder wall and bearings and you will under stand the importance of removing these small particles, you may want to read some on filter performance testing to under stand single pass test. Than make your decision, people tend to support what ever product they use ( sometimes great advice and sometime terrible advice) read listen to what people are telling you. Then make your decision !

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Lotus sandwich plate does NOT have a pressure relief valve in it...that thing is a thermostat! And Lotus buys that sandwich plate from MoCal.

Also, the pressure relief valve within an oil filter is there for the stupid @$$ hole that refuses to change his oil/filter...when that oil filter gets plugged, that relief valve allows the oil to bypass the filter and go directly into the engine. The reasoning is that dirty oil is still better for the engine than no oil...

Racing or high performance oil filters do NOT have that bypass valve in them... the reasoning is that 1. they leak and allow dirty oil into the engine and 2. race engines usually have higher oil pressures that open that valve anyway - allowing dirty oil into the engine and 3. race engines are maintained so the oil filter is changed out more frequently anyway.

BTW, I seriously doubt that Toyota builds that oil filter...I bet you they buy it from some other manufacturer...
I have no disagreements. I was simply repeating what the tech told me at the Lotus dealership. That was a total "WTF" moment, especially coming from a dealership tech that works on those cars all day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i see a lot of people recommend the mobil 1 M1-209 but it has 6 holes for the oil to go into it where as the stock filter has 8 holes. would this not restrict the flow rate through the filter due to less holes on the m1-209?

·
Registered
484 Posts
New soiurce ro 90915-10004

Bumping an older thread. Go it in my head to try to obtain some Toyota 90915-10004 filters. Found a seller who says he/she has 1,000 in stock (dhgate.com). About $14/each. Looks like the real McCoy in the photos, down to the red gasket and the box saying "made in Japan". But the seller has no ratings, which is a bit of a red flag. Did they stop making these things a while ago? Doesn't mean this person couldn't have found a pallet of the things in some warehouse gathering dust. Thanks for any insights or thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts