The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing oil today and went to pick up a new filter. The first auto parts store did not have the M1-209, they have replaced it with the M1-209A. I did find the filter I'm used to at a different parts store, I'm not sure if the new filter is going to replace this filter or not.

Does anyone know anything about the new version? Is it going to work fine for track duty or did they change something that could affect performance of the filter on track?

Attachments

·
Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a lot of the "A" versions on the rack of Mobil filters. I am not sure if it is just a new marketing design or if they are actually changing their filters. I am curious if they changed something meaningful though.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Cut it open and have a look... :D

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
It's no coincidence that Mobil introduces a 20,000 mile/1-year oil and needed a filter to match it. Enter the M1-209A!

The new filter weighs 0.90 lbs versus 0.78 lbs of the outgoing M1-209, so more filtering media can be inferred. I have a hunch it's just a Cracker Jack toy inside.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is the response I received and thought I’d post it here...

Thanks for writing to us. The M1-209A is our upgraded 20,000 mile replacement for the discontinued 15,000 mile M1-209. The filter element, itself, was already over-engineered before we needed a 20,000 mile filter, so you won't find much difference there. The primary upgrade was a sturdier base gasket, and filter body strength improvements.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no way I would use a filter in my car for 20k miles....
Completely agree. The Mobil 1 filters I have cut open are actually private labeled Mann filters from Germany(OEM for Porsche, Mercedes, VW/Audi). I have used them on my 67 Elan, my Crossle Formula Ford (M1-205) and will use them on my new Elise when its time for an oil change.

·
He's on fire!
3,159 Posts
even better would be to test your oil and use data to see what made sense as far as change intervals....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Couldn't find 209, so put 209A on my car last weekend. ~700 miles later and nothing blew up. What else can I ask for?

I'll probably get an oil analysis after the next change, so if something weird pops up I'll let you know. I'm guessing it's just an upgrade, like they say.

·
Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve been running the new 209A for a bit over a year now. Several track days and no oiling issues so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts