The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search first.

What Toyota oil Filter is every one using (part#)
I have an 06 Exige stock TIA Mark B.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check the GGLC website. It has a list of part numbers for common maintenance items. I think they have a link to their website in the local club section below.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
K&N HP 2009! Fits and seals better as well folws better an holds 1/2 quart more oil. A must.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I second the motion for the K&N filter. More filter area, so less oil pressure lost across the filter.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I also use the K&N filter on all of our vehicles. Mainly because it's super easy to remove. Just buy 2-3 of them on Amazon and get free super saver shipping :D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
WIX 51396

It's one of the few brands I trust on my stuff. I wouldn't touch a K&N anything with a 50ft pole. Same "rank" as Fram in my book.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just put the K&N on my 06 Exige and have had no issues thus far. I bought 2 from amazon and got the free shipping so it was right around $25 shipped for both

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I wouldn't touch a K&N anything with a 50ft pole.
I just got back my UOA from Blackstone after a 7,200 mile interval using Mobil1 TDT & K&N HP-2009, and the analysis came back excellent. I see no logical reason to diss the K&N.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just got back my UOA from Blackstone after a 7,200 mile interval using Mobil1 TDT & K&N HP-2009, and the analysis came back excellent. I see no logical reason to diss the K&N.
Awesome! I was planning on doing the same after a 7-10K mark (street miles) on Amsoil to see if the extent of the intervals when using Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Awesome! I was planning on doing the same after a 7-10K mark (street miles) on Amsoil to see if the extent of the intervals when using Amsoil.
I spent the extra $10 and also got the TBN. It was 4.2, which means there's still some life left in the additives of the Mobil1 TDT. I would expect similar or better from AMSoil. I literally had 0.0% insolubles in my sample, which means the K&N filter works excellent. Who woulda thunk? :popcorn:

It'd be great to see another Lotus Used Oil Analysis, please send yours in!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That means nothing.

I have a Blackstone UOA from my Jetta. 30,000 miles on the same oil with a Wix filter and it came back excellent too. TBN was 4.1 Insolubles was .3

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That means nothing.

I have a Blackstone UOA from my Jetta. 30,000 miles on the same oil with a Wix filter and it came back excellent too. TBN was 4.1 Insolubles was .3

It certainly means something. My K&N worked better than your Wix. The insolubles test, and I quote:

Blackstone Laboratories FAQ said:
The insolubles test is a fair measure of how fast the oil is oxidizing and receiving contaminants, and how effectively the system's oil filtration is functioning.
source

If you have some actual data to back up your opinion, please contribute.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
during my 2nd oil change i think i may send a sample into blackstone

I run Eneos 5w40 (with mobil1 filter this time, but prefer Wix) & have been interested to see the results on the Eneos synthetic

but back to topic... has anyone fitted a larger filter from a different engine onto the 2zz?

when i ran my mazda i would use a 1992 corvette zr1 filter, as it filtered significantly more oil than the stock size (the threading/seal ring fit onto the stock sandwich plate perfectly)

·
Registered
349 Posts
has anyone fitted a larger filter from a different engine onto the 2zz?

when i ran my mazda i would use a 1992 corvette zr1 filter, as it filtered significantly more oil than the stock size (the threading/seal ring fit onto the stock sandwich plate perfectly)
K&N HP-2009 is a bigger filter than stock
Search it up
That's 1 reason why it is popular choice in this forum

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You ONLY had 7,200 miles on your oil dude. It was nearly brand new! The oil I sent in had 30,000 miles, over 4 times as many miles!
I have been managing a small fleet for almost 10 years, I've got more than just 2 or 3 samples in the filing cabinet!

I have almost 50,000 miles on the oil in one of my trucks and the insolubles was almost 0 on the last sample. I didn't mention that one cause it's got a much larger sump (about 4 gallons) and 2 oil filters. Again, Wix filter.

So yes, I certainly have plenty of data, while you just have a one time test on a very short oil change interval and somehow that makes the filter great?? Continue to spend $15-20 for a filter if it makes you sleep at night, but it certainly is not the "best" filter by any means.

It certainly means something. My K&N worked better than your Wix. The insolubles test, and I quote:

source

If you have some actual data to back up your opinion, please contribute.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just ordered a K&N filter from amazon.

I'll also be using Rotella T6 synthetic. I run it on all of my vehicles and motorycle.... very cheap and works nicely!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Would it help to get a dissected view of the WIX vs KNN? Id be interested in seeing the internals & oil seal. I remember when I first saw the oil seal on the AMSOIL filters I was surprised to see how large they were in surface area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts