The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I recently changed my oil on my E400 (dealer refused to do it on the 1000 mile service without me paying $600), and I found the process of actually filling up the oil to be a huge PITA. I researched to see if there were any tips and tricks on here, but wasn't able to come up with anything. So, I went on the internet, and found this! It's a Toyota specific funnel that threads into where the oil cap is, and allows you to get around that pesky supercharger snout. The factory O-ring that it came with was too small, causing the funnel to face towards the front of the engine bay (towards the passenger compartment), so I swapped it out with a much thicker one to face it the opposite direction.

Anyway, here are some pictures of it installed and the links on where to buy it! I am aware that this is a PRICEY solution, but it will be worth it for the future frustration it will save me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKETS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTVE84Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

Reactions: Julian73

·
Registered
294 Posts
What a great idea! I have been using a funnel with flexible lower portion but it's a little less secure than I prefer.

Was the extra gasket something you had laying around or do you have a link to it, too?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a great idea! I have been using a funnel with flexible lower portion but it's a little less secure than I prefer.

Was the extra gasket something you had laying around or do you have a link to it, too?
I just had it laying around, it came from another oil cap. I would imagine that the usual stores would have something similar.

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
Thanks for the links, my mechanic had suggested this to me, but I never got around to getting online to search. Order placed, that elbow is a bit pricey

Reactions: tye-bo

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wish I knew about this before I had a "normal" funnel tip over and spill ~500ml of oil all down the engine. That was a lot of work to sop up the mess with a rag on reaching tool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$7 shipped, sits perfectly in between the engine cover strut and side panel, don't need to hold it while filling... [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEPIU4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Lisle 17232 Right Angle Funnel

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$7 shipped, sits perfectly in between the engine cover strut and side panel, don't need to hold it while filling...

That's a good solution for the S1/2 models, but unfortunately, that won't work with the carbon hatch as the gas strut isn't there. Also, I wouldn't have gone down this rabbit hole had there not been a metal chain guard blocking the hole. I think the e400 is a different design than the older engines since I don't remember having this issue on my previous N/A car.

Here is the guard, it is flush with the bottom of the fill port.

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
Hello All, I recently changed my oil on my E400 (dealer refused to do it on the 1000 mile service without me paying $600), and I found the process of actually filling up the oil to be a huge PITA. I researched to see if there were any tips and tricks on here, but wasn't able to come up with anything. So, I went on the internet, and found this! It's a Toyota specific funnel that threads into where the oil cap is, and allows you to get around that pesky supercharger snout. The factory O-ring that it came with was too small, causing the funnel to face towards the front of the engine bay (towards the passenger compartment), so I swapped it out with a much thicker one to face it the opposite direction.

Anyway, here are some pictures of it installed and the links on where to buy it! I am aware that this is a PRICEY solution, but it will be worth it for the future frustration it will save me.
What thickness rubber ring did you go with?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What thickness rubber ring did you go with?
I think it was about 5-6mm, I pulled it out of an old TRD oil filler cap that was laying around. If I remember, I'll be able to measure it tonight while working on the stereo install.

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
I think it was about 5-6mm, I pulled it out of an old TRD oil filler cap that was laying around. If I remember, I'll be able to measure it tonight while working on the stereo install.
Thats good enough, thanks for reminder, I should have an old cap laying around from my s1

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the Lisle 17232 Right Angle Funnel on a 400 today and it works fine. It's a small funnel and filling it a little less than half way up the top part (cup shape) does not create any overflow spills. Even with the metal piece under the oil cap in the 400's engine. I have the hatch strut so it also holds in place nicely. :)

$7 shipped, sits perfectly in between the engine cover strut and side panel, don't need to hold it while filling... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEPIU4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts