The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the oil for the first time in my 2005 lotus elise. (9k total miles now, the dealer changed previous times)

I am doing exactly as the sands museum website dictates, but i just noticed i didn't buy new gaskets. is this a must?? will they sell at the toyota dealership? I already picked up the filter, just don't want to go back if I don't have to.

Lotus Elise Maintenance, Oil Change Tutorial

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Well, I will be shot with you but....

The oil drain plug gasket replacement is recommended, but not required, for each oil change.

Leave the old crush washer, gasket, on. Tighten to 1/2 grunt to 1/3 grunt (I dont know the correct torque but do not over tighten it) and you will be good this time. You should change the washer on the next oil change.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
To answer your question yes, they sell them at the Toyota dealership. I pick up one with each new oil filter (or did when I was running the stock pan).

I also don't know that I agree with Doug - you don't do oil changes very often and I'd certainly want the piece of mind that I'm not going to have any leaks for a $1 part and some time. If you don't change it I'd keep a careful eye on it...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(do i just ask the toyota dealer for a gasket for the oil filter part they sold me, or do they come in different forms?)

i think i just answered my own question.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I've changed my oil and left the existing washer in place. As long as it looks OK it should work. I've done 4 changes in a row with the same washer in place and it doesn't seem to leak.

It is best to hand-tighten the oil filter otherwise the next time you might have trouble removing it.

When you refill the oil, it is useful to have someone around to hold the funnel.

I also recall that the first time you back up onto ramps there is a feeling that you might go too far. That anxiety more or less goes away the second time you perform this task.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If you tell Toyota you have a 2ZZ-GE engine, they will get you the correct washer. They are about a buck each.

I got the impression that Toyota only sells two sizes of washers for the oil pan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts