The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished swapping my stock intercooler tubes for Thomasio's...(which are simply :coolnana:)...

Anyway, as I pulled the tubes off, there was a small amount of oil in the tubes. There wasn't alot, but is this normal?

The car has ~4000 miles and the oil has been changed twice (the last time about 3 weeks ago).

Many thanks.
EH

·
Registered
99 Posts
Normal for an FI car, get an oil catch can to stop it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If you have excessive oil in the tubes I would recommend at the least a Leakdown/Compression test on your cylinders just to be safe, If you do get catch cans and they fill quickly you have a problem! Keep an eye on your Oil consumption...

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
There are a number of things that can cause that.

A lot of times the valve cover runs off into the intake, and it just collects in there. That can be easily taken care of.

Another small, yet possible thing, is the turbo/supercharger seals going bad. Although it's unlikely unless you are running the turbo/sc at it's limits.

I wouldn't worry. Like the others said, if you want to put a stop to it then a catch can would be perfect. If you install one and still get a small amount of oil, you have other problems.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had this issue with my Noble. Oil tends to accumulate toward the end of track days. The catch can has now been redone so that excess oil and vapor do not recirculate to the intake. A far worse problem is oil getting into the intake system from a blown turbo.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Yeah, that sucks when that happens. Usually you see a little blue smoke out the exhaust when that happens.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you get a lot of oil buildup in your IC tubes, it'll eventually reach your IC and it won't be as efficient since it'll be clogged with oil in the long run. As others stated before, a catch can is a good preventative measure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts