The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened my rear deck today and found a real small puddle of oil in the middle of nowhere. I am not sure how the hell it could have gotten there. It was on top of the rear black panel that covers the intake manifold. I stuck my finger in it to see what it was, and it looks like oil. It sort of looked like it "splashed" up there somehow, but I just can't figure it out. There is no oil anywhere else, or on the rear deck. I took a picture using my father's digi-camera, but I can't find the USB port on this A/H POS. As soon as I work that out, I'll post a pic. I hope this isn't the start of something big. I JUST registered it in MA like..ohhh.. 45 minutes ago. It's also supposed to be 70 today. I need a drive.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
It could be anything from a loose oil filter, oil cooler return line fitting, loose drain plug, or the o-ring at the dipstick base or the sandwich plate.

Pictures?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I figured out the camera. What a POS. Anyway, here it is:

Maybe LARRY is right, and it's the dipstick leaking or something. Holy crap that's a big pic, but I do not know how to resize it. At least you can get a clear view. ;)

Any ideas welcome. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
What are we looking at?

The little bit of oil or something on top?

Could it have come onto the engine through the outside vents?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the o-ring at the dipstick base or the sandwich plate.
What's the sandwich plate?

OK I ran my hand down the dipstick duct as far as it would go, and it came back clean, only some dust. I pulled the dipstick and it looked good.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are we looking at?

The little bit of oil or something on top?

Could it have come onto the engine through the outside vents?
Exactly, that little bit on top. It's in a totally bizarre place. I just want to be reasonably sure this isnt some major thing waiting to explode before I go for a spin. Did it come through the vents? I have no idea. BUT it did look "splashed" on there when I opened the deck. It looks smudged because I stuck my paw in it to see what it was.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm.

Doesn't look dangerous...

Go around the block once and check it again!
OK I'm gonna leave the deck open, boot it up and let it warm while I watch it. Then I'll drive a mile and check again. BBS. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
OK I'm gonna leave the deck open, boot it up and let it warm while I watch it. Then I'll drive a mile and check again. BBS. Wish me luck.
from the picture, i have a couple of thoughts. 1. that would be an odd place for an oil leak. 2. i'm not ocnvicned it's oil, given the narrow pattern of the stain rolling away from the large spot. 3. i could be totally wrong.

here's what you should do. 1. take the undertray off and look for obvious signs of a larger leak. 2. close the lid and see if the spot lines up with an opening in the slats. 3. inspect the deck lid for signs of the same stain. 4. report back

unless someone with a mechanical sense has a better idea.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from the picture, i have a couple of thoughts. 1. that would be an odd place for an oil leak. 2. i'm not ocnvicned it's oil, given the narrow pattern of the stain rolling away from the large spot. 3. i could be totally wrong.

here's what you should do. 1. take the undertray off and look for obvious signs of a larger leak. 2. close the lid and see if the spot lines up with an opening in the slats. 3. inspect the deck lid for signs of the same stain. 4. report back

unless someone with a mechanical sense has a better idea.
When I get home I'll take the undertray off. I just took the car out and beat it for 50 miles or so. No signs of anything. There are no stains on the deck; I checked that first. Maybe air flow scooped up a drop of oil from underneath and launched it on top somehow, or maybe it isn't oil at all. It sure smelled, looked, and felt like oil.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Someone checked the oil and a little bit on the dipstick dripped off onto that spot.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone checked the oil and a little bit on the dipstick dripped off onto that spot.
Nah, nobody touched the car. That spot wasn't there before I took the car out 4 days ago. Today it was there. I have to go back there everytime I go out for a drive to disconnect my BTjr. Your theory is pretty good, though. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
It's either that or mouse urine..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts