The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have some oil leak from somewhere.. Looks like it came from over where I marked the red circle. Not much oil, but was not there 3 weeks ago as I changed my diffuser. Anyone have any ideas what it can be and how to fix? Is it bad to drive the car? From the gearbox? Have a 2001 k-series elise. The oil lvl is at max and has not dropped.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I really can’t tell anything from your picture but based on the circle location, it could be the seal between the gearbox and drive shaft. Have you removed your drive shaft recently? Not difficult to replace the seal but time consuming. If that’s what it is, I would replace both sides.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not replaced the shaft recently... It looked like is was coming from the gearbox (if the gearbox is where i have marked?), but looked like the oil was coming from the top where there is some sort of tap? I heard that this tap is to let the pressure out of the gearbox, where there is supposed to be a hose or something connected, but on mine there was no hose connected. Someone also said it was just sweating a little bit and was normal.. but I dried everything, and now after a week I can see oil on the tray/diffuser screws.. Never seen this oil leak before when changing oil or looking under the car, so looks like came the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you suspect a gearbox leak I would pull the fill plug (upper plug) and see if fluid comes out, plug should be around the top third of the gearbox. If no fluid comes out, put your pinky finger in the hole and see if gearbox oil is low. Correct fill should be level with bottom thread of fill plug. I can't be too much more specific as I'm not familiar with the Rover gearbox but the principles listed apply. Checking the gear oil level will also allow you to distinguish the difference between gearbox and engine oil (in case you're not familiar) so you can monitor if the leak continues.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Just in case:

You can clean all the oil up, then put talcum powder or spray Desenex or ~ on the area in question and instantly see from where the oil is coming.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just in case:

You can clean all the oil up, then put talcum powder or spray Desenex or ~ on the area in question and instantly see from where the oil is coming.
That i can try! But think it is leaking very slowly, so maybe hard to see?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts