The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil leak from bolt next to/behind oil filter (46.03 part #13 in parts/service list manual.. but in the parts manual it appears to be upside down?...) there is a bolt (relief valve??)
on my "Sandwich Plate & Thermostat Assy." which had a nylon or silicon spacer.

Neither the bolt, spacer, nor where it goes is listed in the manual.

The spacer is very thin aluminum, and the bolt was apparently tightened a bit too much which caused a slight leak from there, not knowing what I was doing I tightened it a bit more, which just made the leak worse.

I can't find a spacer like the one that was on there anywhere I've gone so far, and nothing is listed in the manual, Ferrari of Denver had no clue what I was talking about, but tried to help me find a spacer, unfortunately, nothing was the correct fit.

I can take pictures if that might aid the situation.

1. Why isn't this in the Parts book?
2. Where do I find a new spacer for this?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The sandwich plate is shown upside down in the parts manual. The service manual shows it properly, with the threads for the oil filter pointed downwards. It looks like the bleed nipple is leaking...

EDIT: Did someone replace your bleed nipple with a bolt?????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sandwich plate is shown upside down in the parts manual. The service manual shows it properly, with the threads for the oil filter pointed downwards. It looks like the bleed nipple is leaking...

EDIT: Did someone replace your bleed nipple with a bolt?????
Wow.. yeah apparently...

Can you hook me up with a part # by chance?

Is there no washer needed for the bleed valve?

It also seems like there sort of a kink where the bolt/bleedvalve screws in, so the seal might be bad...?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow.. yeah apparently...

Can you hook me up with a part # by chance?
I can't seem to find a separate part number either...

Is there no washer needed for the bleed valve?
I assume it's similar to a brake bleed nipple, where there's generally no washer either.

It also seems like there sort of a kink where the bolt/bleedvalve screws in, so the seal might be bad...?
:eek:

I can't think of many good reasons why someone would replace the nipple with a bolt... I wonder if the threads were stripped...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't seem to find a separate part number either...

I assume it's similar to a brake bleed nipple, where there's generally no washer either.

:eek:

I can't think of many good reasons why someone would replace the nipple with a bolt... I wonder if the threads were stripped...
Wow... I really didn't wanna flat-bad my car to Ferrari... :mad:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow... I really didn't wanna flat-bad my car to Ferrari... :mad:
Well, I don't know how long it's been like that... but if for some reason the leak got worse or the bolt popped out... you might wind up replacing an engine instead of a sandwich plate...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I don't know how long it's been like that... but if for some reason the leak got worse or the bolt popped out... you might wind up replacing an engine instead of a sandwich plate...
Aye, I was really just hoping I could have replaced the washer :(

Thanks for all your help! :up:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Aye, I was really just hoping I could have replaced the washer :(

Thanks for all your help! :up:
You're welcome... if you're really lucky, someone just lost or damaged the bleed nipple and threaded a bolt and washer in there without damaging the sandwich plate...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I am a hack when it comes to mechanics, but racing is forcing me to learn or go broke.
so my question is, why cant he just remove that bolt, and put a bead of rtv under the bolt head and retighten it to a proper torque spec, after the bolt and threads are cleaned of oil?
"trackside repair"

I posted this for my own education, not so much as telling him to do this to his car.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I am a hack when it comes to mechanics, but racing is forcing me to learn or go broke.
so my question is, why cant he just remove that bolt, and put a bead of rtv under the bolt head and retighten it to a proper torque spec, after the bolt and threads are cleaned of oil?
"trackside repair"

I posted this for my own education, not so much as telling him to do this to his car.
Well, given the facts:

1) It's leaking
2) Tightening seems to worsen the leak
3) The bolt is "kinked"

I'd guess that the bolt might not be the correct diameter/thread pitch... plus I assume that since it's supposed to be a bleed nipple, you may have to empty a lot of oil out of the car to get the threads clean... and then how do you bleed the air out of the oil lines once you've sealed the bolt to the plate?

I'm not saying that it's a guaranteed failure waiting to happen... I'm just trying to make him aware of the possible negative consequences...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, took the bolt out, and the washer is bent pretty badly inward.

Can't tell if the hole has been re-tapped.

If RTV sealant (Is this silicone?) is okay in this kind of place, and will not have any problems around oil, I think I will just do that, till next time I have to take it by ferrari.

I've never used an RTV sealant, so, any particulars for this application would be appriciated.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
PERMATEX ULTRA COPPER Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker - 81878

Something like that for the RTV sealant? Or should I basically just steer clear and fix it the right way :sad:
Tough call. If the bolt that you removed seemed to thread in properly (correct diameter and thread pitch), I might go to an auto parts store to see if they had a brake bleed screw that matched. If the bolt doesn't thread in properly, either because it's the wrong size, or the threads are stripped, I'm not sure I'd tempt fate, but that's just me...

How long do you think the bolt was in place? i.e. when's the last time your oil was changed...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tough call. If the bolt that you removed seemed to thread in properly (correct diameter and thread pitch), I might go to an auto parts store to see if they had a brake bleed screw that matched. If the bolt doesn't thread in properly, either because it's the wrong size, or the threads are stripped, I'm not sure I'd tempt fate, but that's just me...

How long do you think the bolt was in place? i.e. when's the last time your oil was changed...
I changed it myself ~4months ago, but I never took notice of the bolt, and at the time didn't notice any sort of leak, though, with all the dirt and grime, it would have been hard to notice.
Noticed a few drops in my garage here and there after that, but never got around to checking it till yesterday.

thread seems good, but apparently not enough to fully seal.

Is RTV sealant considered "permanent"? or can I do that until my next service?

Edit; Will see if I can get a brakebleed screw with the same thread then, and if needed.. RTV seal that? >:O

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I changed it myself ~4months ago, but I never took notice of the bolt, and at the time didn't notice any sort of leak, though, with all the dirt and grime, it would have been hard to notice.
Noticed a few drops in my garage here and there after that, but never got around to checking it till yesterday.

thread seems good, but apparently not enough to fully seal.

Is RTV sealant considered "permanent"? or can I do that until my next service?
No, RTV is not permanent, but the threads and bleed hole of the sandwich plate will have to be carefully cleaned when you get a replacement bleed screw. As tesprit said, a $30 replacement sandwich plate might be cheap insurance once you get around to a permanent fix...

If you've only lost a little oil, you probably don't have to be concerned about bleeding the oil lines... the system can self-bleed a small amount of air.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, thanks again, apk919, tesprit, and fishguy.

Will go to Toyota and ask about the part, go to some auto-shops to look for a brake bleed screw, and pick up some RTV sealant tomorrow.

And wait for a PM about the $30 sandwich plate!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts