The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like its coming out from that (is it a breather tube?) coming out of the front of the cam cover. I notice that it comes out of the cam cover as a metal tube then goes into a rubber tube that has a kink to get around the dip stick.

I was driving the car pretty hard and noticed this afterwards. Haven't noticed it before, then again I've only had the car for 1k miles and 600 of that was driving it home, figured that would be a good enough shake down run.

Anyone had this problem? :shrug:

Anywhere else it could be leaking from?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just a couple questions that may help. How many miles total on the motor? Did you do a compression check on the engine before the BWR install? Is the oil dipstick loose, or is the hose attached to the pipe loose? With the motor running, slowly and carefully remove the oil fill cap and tell us if there is any smoke coming out of the hole. If so would you say its a lot or a little.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a couple questions that may help. How many miles total on the motor? Did you do a compression check on the engine before the BWR install? Is the oil dipstick loose, or is the hose attached to the pipe loose? With the motor running, slowly and carefully remove the oil fill cap and tell us if there is any smoke coming out of the hole. If so would you say its a lot or a little.
I bought the car with 10 K miles on it. The supercharger was not installed by me but I was told it was put on at 8K. I did check the oil before this happened, but the dip stick is secured. I am about to go take a further look and clean it up, i'll do the cap removal.

PS: sweet gullwing top! Those are hard to find.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I have had a problem before and after BWR install with blow-by.
I was losing tons of oil....eventually the motor blew....so be sure to figure out what's wrong. I agree with the compression and leak down test.

·
Registered
179 Posts
PS: sweet gullwing top! Those are hard to find.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I looked and waited for a long time to get this combination.

I hope you find something simple like a loose hose clamp or something. You should do a compression and leak down test either way to determine future engine/cylinder wear.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a problem before and after BWR install with blow-by.
I was losing tons of oil....eventually the motor blew....so be sure to figure out what's wrong. I agree with the compression and leak down test.

:eek: thats scary! I just tightened up the clamps and will be more aware of the problem, wouldn't want that to happen.... then again I've always wanted to get a spare 2zz to bore, map, and blueprint, you know just as a spare :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Clean it up with a little bit of brake cleaner and then look for where it's coming from... I would also concur that it is probably just loose hose clamps or the breather tube flange where it bolts to the cam cover.

Also not that this tube needs to be cut during the install so you may also want to check that the grommet is centered correctly over the cut area and not too close to one of the ends.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I can't imagine how oil would get in that spot and only that spot... unless it was just a bit of spillage on the valve cover when somebody poured the oil into the filler opening.

xtn

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the car after I bought it and made sure it was clean back there, I checked the oil but never put any in, I definitely didn't spill any. never added oil either.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, no smoke coming out of the cap when its running.

It looks like its just the breather tube, the way it was cut means you have to put the clamps on at an angle, so when you go to tighten the clamps you can't tighten them because they slip off. I'll get a longer hose tomorrow. I drove it around before hand and there was even oil on my clam somehow??? hope this is the problem.

I pulled the panel off and changed the oil, figured it would be good to check since I just bought the car even though it only had 3k and a year on the oil in it. Oil looked fine.

Here are two pics of the cut tube:

Why is the breather tube cut? I guess this is for the supercharger install, looks like he could have left some straight tube to clamp down on if thats the case...

·
Registered
365 Posts
sounds like the clamps aren't able to hold 100% of the time, and pressurized oil is squirting out occasionally, like you've got your very own little oil geyser.

Looking back at your first pic, it doesn't look like the clamp is even tightened down, although maybe you were tinkering with that piece when you took the photo.

I think you're right to get a longer hose if that allows the clamps to be fully engaged.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Incorrect cut

I had a BWR self instal (now VF stg1) but I am sure the tube was not cut in the correct position as there should be at least 1" of straight tube above and below to clamp onto. I could send you mine if you need one that does work if you are happy to pay for postage from Australia.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I had a BWR self instal (now VF stg1) but I am sure the tube was not cut in the correct position as there should be at least 1" of straight tube above and below to clamp onto. I could send you mine if you need one that does work if you are happy to pay for postage from Australia.
I can't remember exactly how I cut mine since it's been over a year, but I believe your are correct in that it was cut wrong during the install...

A longer hose should however fix your problem... Just make sure it's something that doesn't react with oil. Some forms of rubber will swell or get soft over time if they come in contact with oil, your best bet is to use silicone hose.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Clean it up with a little bit of brake cleaner and then look for where it's coming from... I would also concur that it is probably just loose hose clamps or the breather tube flange where it bolts to the cam cover.

Also not that this tube needs to be cut during the install so you may also want to check that the grommet is centered correctly over the cut area and not too close to one of the ends.
If you use brake cleaner on the valve cover the coating will come off. Just an FYI as it's not bare metal. Contact cleaner is about the only thing other than soap and water I would use on that surface.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you use brake cleaner on the valve cover the coating will come off. Just an FYI as it's not bare metal. Contact cleaner is about the only thing other than soap and water I would use on that surface.
Thanks for that... Some paint can handle it and some can't... I know the Chemtool I use is some pretty pissed off stuff...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks for that... Some paint can handle it and some can't... I know the Chemtool I use is some pretty pissed off stuff...

np, didn't want him trying it and getting upset when his hands turned silver from the paint coming off. :)

This is the main reason I now have a powdercoated valve cover... Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
np, didn't want him trying it and getting upset when his hands turned silver from the paint coming off. :)

This is the main reason I now have a powdercoated valve cover... Live and learn.
aren't they plastic? or are they just covered in plastic?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts