The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is set to have it's oil line recall service in 2 weeks. I'd like to have the dealer swap out the plastic radiator for a high quality one. For folks who did the same thing, how much did the dealer charge for the labor?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm having the same thing done. I've been quoted 1 to 4 hours of labor from different dealers on top of the radiator and coolant cost.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, varied numbers. That is sort of what I expected to hear. Galpin (Los Angeles) quoted me $447 to swap the radiator, as long as I provided the unit and the hoses. It seemed a little steep for a job that I know is simple once the clam has been removed.

[email protected], was that $800 just the cost of labor or did it include the price of the radiator? That, as I understand, is appx the labor cost to do that repair when you are paying to have the clam removed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No that was just for the labor if the clam is already off!
Spoke to them again. They are willing to charge only 5hrs but not less. Still more than $700.
Flushing the system takes so long?

Has someone real experience with it? Maybe at Newport?

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Subscribing to this thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im having my oil lines fixed next week, and like others asked about the replacement of the radiator, and was told that they have been doing the recall work wihtout removing the clams. is this true?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... and was told that they have been doing the recall work wihtout removing the clams. is this true?
I recall having read somewhere on this forum that while the approved method for dealing with this factory recall requires the removal of the clam, if the oil lines have enough slack, some dealerships are attempting the repair without clamshell removal. I wish I could find that thread because, if I remember correctly, the owner was able to force the dealer to do the repair properly.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I recall having read somewhere on this forum that while the approved method for dealing with this factory recall requires the removal of the clam, if the oil lines have enough slack, some dealerships are attempting the repair without clamshell removal. I wish I could find that thread because, if I remember correctly, the owner was able to force the dealer to do the repair properly.
As I have mentioned in a few of the upteen threads on this subject, email Ron Mann at Lotus USA.
[email protected]

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The radiator is located a good bit lower than the engine. I'd imagine that it empties quickly (via gravity) once the radiator hoses are disconnected.
The problem is not getting the coolant out.
Its getting it back in ;)

·
Such Moderate
6,739 Posts
The radiator is located a good bit lower than the engine. I'd imagine that it empties quickly (via gravity) once the radiator hoses are disconnected.
Draining coolant is the easy part. It's bleeding the system that is the hard part and what takes the most time.

Not sure why everyone gets upset when they find out their clam didn't come off. Some of them can be done with clam on.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I just emailed Ron, and i apologize that i havent read this in the other threads, but are you saying that its normal to not remove the clam or that Ron will make sure that the procedure is done correctly?
My guess is that he insist they do it correctly. Let us know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My guess is that he insist they do it correctly. Let us know.

This is the response i got from Ron.

It is the Lotus recommended procedure to remove the clam shell. There have been cases where Dealers were able to accomplish the recall properly without the removal. As long as the recall is performed properly is our number I concern.

Kind Regards,

Ron Mann

Customer Services

&Warranty Manager

Lotus Cars USA, INC.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure why everyone gets upset when they find out their clam didn't come off. Some of them can be done with clam on.
For two reasons (that I'm aware of)...

1. Because if the dealer is not following the Lotus recommended repair process, how can it be guaranteed that they are doing the work properly? It is seen as a short-cut and short cuts can lead to low quality repair.

2. Because some people want additional work done and want to take advantage of the fact that Lotus USA is paying the labor cost to remove the clam. If the dealer doesn't remove the clamshell as part of the recall repair, then a radiator replacement (or air con service, or etc) cost will include the expensive labor hours to remove and refit the clamshell.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What kind of "credit" are you guys getting toward the repair? Mine seems to be about 2 hrs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just did mine myself while I had the front clam off. I think 4-6 hours of labor is pretty fair to quote for this job. I'm not a pro but it's just sorta tricky and I think if you go fast that nice new radiator is going to get dented. One of the biggest pains is the bolts holding the radiator housing to the crash structure. They are really hard to get started and you could honestly spend an hour or two on three bolts. I guess if you had done it 20 times and it went smooth a couple hours might get it done.

·
Registered
239 Posts
radiator

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it to have the radiator replaced at the same time as the oil lines? And what is the best radiator. I have seen info on the Pro Rad from Sector 111 for $600 or the Elise Shop all aluminum triple pass race radiator for about $360. Then of course there are the hoses and even the pull fans from Sector 111. I do live in Southern California where it can get warm, but have only done a few track days and have not had an overheating problem. But I still like to put "cool" stuff on my car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts