The Lotus Cars Community banner

201 - 220 of 1102 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Regarding the previous post, I think my 2009 Elise has the same connectors.

Here is a picture taken last summer.

Lotus claims the crimping was done correctly on cars not included in the recall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Lotus claims the crimping was done correctly on cars not included in the recall.
LOL! Lotus has also done virtually nothing for the MY 05 and 06 cars that have had oil cooler line failures. I called my Lotus dealership and they told me "there is no recall on that. There is a pending recall." I also called Lotus USA about it left a detailed voice mail I haven't heard back from Lotus USA yet.

David I would keep a close eye on those lines if I were you. The look like they were just barely crimped.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Replaced all mine last week along with a gpan2. I wanted to be proactive. I used the RLS lines and they really were not a big deal to put in. The hard part was both fittings on the pass oil cooler were rusted on and I had to use a cutoff wheel to get them off. I did remove the clam and removed the cooler to do this without damaging threads. All good now along with some peace of mind. Hopefully there will be some compensation but I am not confident. On a side note I found a boost leak in my lower intercooler hose. The clamp was loose. Now I get full boost and what a difference! To all those contemplating this, the clam was quite easy to remove and reinstall. There is alot of info out there on how to do it. Thanks Thomas the directions were great! I will do my buddy's car in a week or so. Hopefully all his fittings will come off easy! Tom

·
Registered
350 Posts
How did you get the lines out and in through the mid area of the car?
x2
if there's any tricks (taking sideskirts off, fishing it through with a rope, etc) or obstructions along the way, please share!

btw tommyc, that hardtop you sold me has been golden - i bolted it on when i picked the car up from malcolm in nebraska and haven't taken it off yet. color matched without any issues, no leaks, and we get more than our fair share of rain here in the PNW! thanks again :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do all the 2005s have oil coolers? (I thought I read somewhere that some of them didn't or maybe some have dual oil coolers?) How do I tell if mine has an oil cooler?

TIA

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Do all the 2005s have oil coolers? (I thought I read somewhere that some of them didn't or maybe some have dual oil coolers?) How do I tell if mine has an oil cooler?
TIA
yah,. they all have oil coolers, most of the 2005's have two.

Just grab a flashlight and peer inside each inlet in the front of your clam.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
So anyone hear anything new from lotus? I ask, because i am curious on what i should do.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Thanks. Only the passenger side had an oil cooler line. No sign of leaks. Is the inlet where it leaks?
No, you have oil coolers lines on both sides of your car. The lines run up the passenger side, through an oil cooler, across the front of the car, thought the second oil cooler, and back along the driver side. When only one cooler is present, a short piece of pipe is used to connect the two oil lines.

The failure is not in the hose itself, but at the ends where the connector are crimped on. Some of the cars don't have properly crimped fittings and they can start leaking or completely come apart. Note that it doesn't happen automatically to all of the cars, but it is something that needs to be checked and watched.

·
Registered
593 Posts
OK i just got this in the mail. Looks like Lotus is going to recall for the oil cooler lines.

Lotus Cars USA, Inc.
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE 3*388***************AUTO**MIXED AADC 300
Lotus Recall2012/01R {NHTSA recall # 11V-510} -Interim Notification
Vehicle VIN **************
Dear Owner
Lotus has identified you as the registered owner of the above vehicle. This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
REASON FOR THIS RECALL
Lotus has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2005, 2006 and 2007 model year Elise and Exige vehicles. It has been determined that oil cooler hose leaks have occurred in a small number of USA specification vehicles manufactured between 1 June 2004 and 30 November 2006.
WHAT IS THE RISK?
A failure of the oil cooler line may result in oil being deposited on the wheel and/or tire and/or brakes. This could cause reduced or loss of control, reduced braking efficiency and an increased risk of fire because of the presence of flammable vapour. This could result in a crash, serious injury or fatality.
WHAT WE WILL DO
We will notify you again as soon as a campaign remedy is available for your vehicle.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Prior to the issue of the campaign, we recommend that you monitor your vehicle closely for indications of oil leaks.
If an oil cooler line failure occurs the driver may observe one or more of the following warning signs:
(1) Oil pressure warning light illuminated whilst the engine is running;
(2) Signs of oil under the front or rear of the vehicle whilst the vehicle is parked;

2402 TechCenter Parkway Lawrenceville, GA 30043 Tel: 770-476-6540 Fax: 770-476 6541
Lotus Cars USA, Inc.
(3) Excessive oil consumption;
(4) Trail of oil on the road;

Ifyou observe any ofthe above before driving. do not drive the car and contact your
Lotus dealer. Ifyour oil pressure warning light illuminates whilst driving, or ifyou
have any other reason to suspect that an oil line has become detached, stop your
vehicle immediately in a safe and controlled manner and contact your Lotus dealer.
Your Lotus dealer is best equipped to obtain parts and provide service to ensure that your
vehicle is corrected as promptly as possible. You may also contact Lotus customer service
by calling 1-800-24-LOTUS (1-800-245-6887).
WHAT IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS?
Please visit http.1lwww.lotuscars.com/enlcustomer-service or caI/1-800-24-LOTUS (1-800¬
245-6887) for further information.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
We will advise you in a separate letter when a campaign remedy is available for your vehicle. After you receive that separate letter, if you believe that we have failed or we are
unable to provide a remedy without charge or within a reasonable time after we advise you
in writing that a campaign remedy is available for your vehicle, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888¬327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you have sold or traded your vehicle, please let us know by completing the slip below and returning it to the address at the foot of the page or email [email protected]. If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the vehicle lessee within ten days.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interests of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.
Mr. Ron Mann Customer Services & Warranty Manager Lotus Cars USA, Inc.
2402 TechCenter Parkway Lawrenceville, GA 30043 Tel: 770-476-6540 PAY: 770-476-6541

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my Letter in the Mail for my '05. wonder what they will do with cars that "appear" leak free, like mine is currently. does anyone have any past experience with lotus recalls

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Got my Letter in the Mail for my '05. wonder what they will do with cars that "appear" leak free, like mine is currently. does anyone have any past experience with lotus recalls
Just be careful. I would hate for any oil from your last oil change to accidentally get on those lines. may show a false positive.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Clever...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I emailed Lotus USA a few months back, they "added me to their mailing list." No letter from them to me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got the letter yesterday. It was not very useful. They need to just get all of our oil cooler lines fixed asap before more engines blow up!

201 - 220 of 1102 Posts